General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering/Front end issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Default Power Steering/Front end issue?

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I am looking a buying a 1990 Accord. It seems like it is in great shape overall. The one issue is that in low-speed sharp turns, it feels like the power steering is going out, and you have to pull on it a bit harder, as you come out of the turn, but then it kicks right back in as you straighten up. It seems like this only happens when you basically have the wheel all the way over one way or the other. The guy who owns it says its been doing that since he got it a year ago and has never gotten worse. Its not bad enough, as is, to be a concern, and I could live with it if it didn't get any worse, but I thought I'd ask around to see if this my be a symptom of a larger problem before I bought the car.

Thanks!

-Elijah

Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Is the power steering fluid reservoir full? If you have someone turn the steering wheel, do air bubbles start appearing in the reservoir?

When was the last time the previous owner changed the PS fluid? Did he use the Honda Power Steering fluid?

The PS belt might need tightened. The next items would be a bad PS pump or the PS rack.

There are enough accords out there in the junkyards where you could get the parts for pretty cheap.