General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Leak??? Internal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you look at this thread and download a manual for the car : https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/

The check of the fluid level (? - I thought you did this), is done when the trans fluid is warm/hot and within one minute of shutting the engine off.

The fluid change is a "drain and fill". There is not a filter (there is but you'd have to tear the trans into pieces, rebuild to get to it) that is changed.

To drain and fill the trans. You will need a 3/8 ratchet, long funnel and the new fluid (3 qts) and a drain pan.....some will suggest a new washer for the drain bolt but they can be re-used a few times.

If you have never done this before, I suggest you do it this way. Park the car on level ground. Jack up the right/pass side of the car, be safe!. Remove the right/pass side front tire. From the wheel well look at the "end" of the trans case, you will see a round bolt with a 3/8 hex in the middle. Insert the ratchet into the hex and remove the bolt - hope you put the pan under it .
While it is draining, clean the "gunk" off the drain bolt - there will be gunk on it, don't get worried.

Install the drain bolt back in and tighten (29 ft lbs by the book). Put the tire back on, lower the car......should now be sitting nice and level.

Use the long funnel and add the new fluid thru the dipstick hole - question is yours a threaded or "plug" dipstick, just wondering. I'd add about 2.5 quarts and check the level. If it looks close, start the car and let it run. While it is running and your foot on the brake, move it thru ALL of the gears a few times. After about 5~10 minutes of the engine running, shut it off and check the fluid level....adjust as needed. As you know, over filling is just as bad as under filling.

Sorry....that got long winded

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Leak??? Internal?-3rd-gen-auto-trans-drain-bolt.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Poorman:
I did check the fluid and drained some out. But I didn't know the proper proceedure.
I left the car running in park and checked. Showed way too full, so I drained some out by the drain plug.
Back to the VSS.. I have installed another one and everything appears to be working fine now. Power Steering is quite smooth and easy. The BOSS gave the nod of approval on that..She loves the little car!!!
I'm going to take the day and change plugs and wires, oil and filter, go ahead and drain the tranny and replace the fluid there too. Hopefully all I'll have to do is put gas in it for a while..
Thank You all for your help and look forward to asking some more basic questions when I need the correct answers..This is GREAT!!!
John
OK.. Transmission fluid is changed. Had a strange thing happen tho..Filled the tranny and run through the gears..No Reverse. Shut off the car..checked the fluid and screwed the dipstick back in and restarted and had reverse???? Drove it down the road and got up to cruising speed.. everything seemed fine. Came back and checked fluid..on the money.. Now the oil and filter...Any little tricks for it that are different than a Chevy??lol..
Learning alot about these little cars..Alot different than the older american cars...John

Last edited by stubby1962; 08-10-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stubby1962
OK.. Transmission fluid is changed. Had a strange thing happen tho..Filled the tranny and run through the gears..No Reverse. Shut off the car..checked the fluid and screwed the dipstick back in and restarted and had reverse???? Drove it down the road and got up to cruising speed.. everything seemed fine. Came back and checked fluid..on the money.. Now the oil and filter...Any little tricks for it that are different than a Chevy??lol..
Learning alot about these little cars..Alot different than the older american cars...John
If you think the PS fluid was getting into the tranny, you might want to think about another few (two) drain and fills on the trans. You really only change about a third of the fluid when you drain and fill. Suggest a "few miles" of driving between changes to mix the old and new enough that you are getting to where you want to be.

Oil and filter. Nothing really special here. Not sure of the tools/jack you have. The drivers side, at least, has to be in the air - AGAIN BE SAFE, stands and all of that. The drain plug, simple. The filter, well you are going to have to be way under the car, hince the SAFE WARNING. It is on the back side of the engine. You'll want a pan under it as it is "side ways", so as you unscrew it oil will drip down. Once off, slide it slightly towards the drivers tire - to clear the cv shaft, and it will come out. Be sure the old gasket is on the old filter and then install the new new "stuff". Again, every now and then you need to install a new drain plug gasket.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I didn't figure anything special on the oil change..fixin' to go do in a few.
One more question about a switch that is on the gear shift console close to the E-Brake. It has like a upside down triangle on it. When I flip the switch I have a clicking sound in the dash on the driverside. What is this switch for? Traction lock? Overdrive? I haven't got a clue.
Thank You all for the help I've recieved from this forum...John

Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Got a pic, I think that is the switch for the power antenna. The motor is on the drivers side, forward of the under dash fuse panel.