General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Rack Replacement Pricing/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:57 PM
mrjgs70
Unregistered
Default Power Steering Rack Replacement Pricing/Opinions

Hi, I checked the threads, don't look like there is a question of this type so here it is.

I have a 2001 Accord, 4 cyl., great condition, I just hit 90K miles. I was hearing a thumping every time I hit a bump in the road, so I thought it was time for shocks/struts. I took it to the Honda dealer for service and they tell me that they see a power steering leak, and that the power steering rack needs replacing and this is probably the noise I am hearing. Now I know that the leak has stopped because I put one of those power steering fix it fluids in, and I have not seen the fluid level go down ever since. I'm not convinced this is the noise I am hearing, but the dealer tells me the shocks are fine, through a visual inspection. My question is this, I got a quote for $1100 bucks. Should I replace the power steering rack, should I shop the price around, should I ignore it? The car is in great condition, I don't have the money right now to buy a new one.. so I intend to keep driving it.. Thanks for your help and opinions...

jgs..

Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

a leaky p/s rack WILL NOT cause any thumping noise at all.. did you chk the sway bar bushings. maybe they need to be lubed or replaced .. AS for the price to replace the rack it is way, way overpriced ,,
if you do not see the fluid on the reservoir go down the leak might be very ,very little if any,,,,,,,if you do not have the money to replace the rack just keep on adding fluid when it is down,, make sure to chk the fluid from time to time ,,.. when the time comes that it leaks a lot worse then shop around ,,,,,,,,you can buy your own rack and have a shop replace it ,,make sure to do an alignment after rack replacement

Old 07-22-2009, 06:47 PM
mrjgs70
Unregistered
Default Thanks for the info... Could it be shocks?

Thanks... had a feeling that was high, and I believe that is even with a refurbed rack too... I put in a sealant power steering fluid and it seems to be holding so whatever leak they saw has probably been there, if I power washed it off you could probably never tell.. as far as the thumping noise, I thought it was more towards the back of the car, the dealer only visual checks the shocks.. don't know, the car has 90K miles and is 8 years old.. Thanks for the info, I'll keep driving it for now and not worry, do shocks have a life line? do you do shocks and struts at the same time or do they last the life of the car.. Thanks again.

jgs.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Cool Struts/shocks intervals

Originally Posted by mrjgs70
Thanks... had a feeling that was high, and I believe that is even with a refurbed rack too... I put in a sealant power steering fluid and it seems to be holding so whatever leak they saw has probably been there, if I power washed it off you could probably never tell.. as far as the thumping noise, I thought it was more towards the back of the car, the dealer only visual checks the shocks.. don't know, the car has 90K miles and is 8 years old.. Thanks for the info, I'll keep driving it for now and not worry, do shocks have a life line? do you do shocks and struts at the same time or do they last the life of the car.. Thanks again.

jgs.

Some factory shocks may show aging signs after only 30,000 or 40,000 miles. Struts usually last around 50,000 or 60,000 miles. Shocks and struts do not require replacing at specific mileage intervals like filters or spark plugs. And yes, you change them at the same time.

This a simple way to test your shocks or struts, is push down on your car (bumper or the body) and release, if it bounces more than 1 or 2 times, that means your parts are worn and may need replacement.

There are many other ways to tell...I hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by rwyatt80
Some factory shocks may show aging signs after only 30,000 or 40,000 miles. Struts usually last around 50,000 or 60,000 miles. Shocks and struts do not require replacing at specific mileage intervals like filters or spark plugs. And yes, you change them at the same time.

This a simple way to test your shocks or struts, is push down on your car (bumper or the body) and release, if it bounces more than 1 or 2 times, that means your parts are worn and may need replacement.

There are many other ways to tell...I hope this helps.
Thanks for reminding me of that neat little trick.