General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem. high/bad idle&overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Default problem. high/bad idle&overheating

hello, my car is a 93 with an f22a4, and i have a broken wire, no water in the radiator cap, and the idle is at about 1100 rpms and it like stops and picks back up. its kinda hard to explain but its like a surging. i already took off that cap and tightened the thing with a screwdriver. its still bad. also, if the engine reaches 4k rpms, say goodbye to the oxygen! it smokes the whole block up. i assume it needs a head gasket, so how much does one go for at a junkyard?

the wire i have an issue with is running from the silver fuel injection thing that says pgm fi on it. it goes to the top of the block, above the plugs right in the middle. i would just like to know what this wire does, and what problems it creates by not being hooked up.

if anyone replies to this and helps me out, thank you very much. ive had this car for like 3 months and i only drove it twice. id like to make it a reliable automobile that can actually get me from a to b, and from b to a.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Hi,

Is the check-engine-light on?

Top off with coolant, and idle it up to normal temperature, look for leaks. Look for signs of water on the oil dip stick and for signs of oil in the radiator.

One buys only new gaskets.

How old are the plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires?

Roy

Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by irhunter
Hi,

Is the check-engine-light on?

Top off with coolant, and idle it up to normal temperature, look for leaks. Look for signs of water on the oil dip stick and for signs of oil in the radiator.

One buys only new gaskets.

How old are the plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires?

Roy
yes the check engine light is on. but the vss is bad, speedometer doesnt work. water leaks on back left side of the block. doesnt look like waters on the dip stick. doesnt look like anythings in the radiator

Old 10-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Need to fix the leak...the idle "hunting" is prob due to the air in the coolant not giving the IAC the right readings.......find/repair the coolant leak, bleed the air out of the coolant system.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 AM

thank you. im not sure what the water is leaking from though. is the water pump on the northwest corner of the block? also.. why does it smoke so bad? ive never seen anything smoke this much. its as bad as my 85 s10 when i seafoamed it

Last edited by blkgrlcb7; 10-31-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

The water pump is under the timing belt cover on the driver's side of the engine block. The water pump is closer to the windshield side of the engine. Try to find the leak. If the water pump is out, then coolant will be leaking from under the timing belt cover or through the weep hole of the water pump that you can see without removing the TB cover.

Another place to look is the metal pipe that goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing.

I am not sure what wire you are talking about. Can you post a pic?

Is the smoke from the engine white?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The water pump is under the timing belt cover on the driver's side of the engine block. The water pump is closer to the windshield side of the engine. Try to find the leak. If the water pump is out, then coolant will be leaking from under the timing belt cover or through the weep hole of the water pump that you can see without removing the TB cover.

Another place to look is the metal pipe that goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing.

I am not sure what wire you are talking about. Can you post a pic?

Is the smoke from the engine white?
i can post a pic soon.. but yes the smoke is white. at idle while engine is warm, there is a constant plume of smoke coming out. the interior gets really smokey, to the point where its unhealthy to be inside the car while its running