General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Cruise Control and Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Default Problems with Cruise Control and Headlights

I am new to the forum lifestyle so bear with me. I have a 1998 Honda EX. I recently started having problems with my cruise control as well as my brake lights. My cruise quit working. The button to the left does light up as to indicate that it is functioning...however when I press the set button it does not work. I initially thought it was an issue with a fuse...which it still may be. Additionally, my brake lights started acting up which makes me think that there is a greater problem. The brake lights last night stayed on even though the switch to the left of my steering wheel is in the off position...(the headlights were off...the brake lights were on). This only happened once but I fear that it may occur again leaving me stranded when least expected and least convenient. My battery is less than a year old. I will have autozone test my battery tomorrow as I am told that this could be a bad cell....but can this happen on such a new battery? I do live in a very hot and humid climate. Could it be an issue with a fuse? If so...What fuse do I check? Where is it located?

I have since cleaned my positive contacts just in case with some CLR and a wire brush. There was very little oxidation but I figured this couldn't hurt. Thus far, the brake light issue hasn't acted up again but my cruise still doesn't work.

Can anyone help? Please please please give me some suggestions. I am a broke college student and cannot afford a shop. Thank you for your time and consideration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Normally, General Tech Help section works for most questions.

It sounds like a problem with the brake light switch, located under the dash, above the brake pedal. The rubber stop may have broken off; or the switch needs an adjustment; or the switch is faulty.

I'll see if I can pull together some things for you visually.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Here some info. to get you started.

1. Check to see if the pedal stopper pad is still there. If not, there's your problem.

Brake lights stay on...how I fixed them - Honda-Tech

2. If the pad in #1 is still there, this other link has info. on the brake light switch.

1998 Honda Accord Problem Cruise Control Functioning Engine Mechanical 4 Cyl...

The part is available in OEM or aftermarket, so you can pick one up at most auto parts stores pretty readily. The replacement is not too difficult if it needs replacement.

The reason the cruise control doesn't work is because it believes the brakes are applied when they are not.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Default Thank youuu!!!

That is the exact problem! You have no idea how much you set my mind at ease!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Was it just the pad?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM

Just the pad. Exactly as your first link showed.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for letting us know. It helps others in the future with a similar problem when they are doing a search to find the resolution.