General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing dead speedometer and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:54 AM
sdemasi
Unregistered
Default Need help diagnosing dead speedometer and cruise control

Here's one that might stump even the most experienced Honda techs. I have a 1999 Accord EX 4-cyl with 5spd transmission, 96k miles. Recently the speedometer died while I was driving and the odometer stopped rolling forward (it is stuck on the current mileage); also, the cruise control no longer works (though the green light is on).

I have already done the following:

1) Replaced the speed sensor
2) Used a Snap-on scan tool to confirm that the vehicle computer output reflects proper speed
3) Checked all connections to the instrument cluster
4) Checked the cruise control fuse by the driver door
5) Plugged in my friend's functional instrument cluster and got the same results
6) Pulled my hair out

Any advice on this one???

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!!

- Scott

Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Default RE: Need help diagnosing dead speedometer and cruise control

Not to familiar with your model or if it even has one (nowadays everythings electronic) but the speedo cable? You might have aleady checked this.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you probably did this but did you chk the fuse ??? unde dash driver fuse box # 6 fuse 7.5 amps ..

also you replaced the v.s.sensor but before yoy did that did you test the wiring output ?? to make sure it was a bad sensor ?? if no input from sensor cruise will not work
also chk engine lite on ??

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/vss.php

Old 10-04-2006, 02:17 PM
sdemasi
Unregistered

Thank you both for the replies. There is no speedo cable (all electronic). Regarding the wiring output, I'm not sure how to check for that. The check-engine light did turn on (sorry, forgot that detail) and the Scan-tool came up with a code indicating a problem with the speed sensor. I couldn't get my hands on a wiring diagram to determine where a failure might be occuring in the harness.

The scan-tool gets speed readings when I'm driving; could there be an issue with the cruise control module?

- Scott

Old 10-04-2006, 06:14 PM

Scoot......read the code and input it here.......also if you click on the link i posted on my previous reply it will show you how to diagnose the v.s.s system

I do not think it is an issue with the cruise control,, DO NOT replace any parts till you properly diagnose it.. but i think you got an issue with the v.s.s. system ..

Old 10-22-2006, 11:29 PM

Does your TQ coverter lock up when in 3rd or 4th gear? Based upon what OP has said, I am with DH on this one and check the vehicle speed sensor. This is located on the transmission....