General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing tach and speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
james.walters
Unregistered
Default Need help diagnosing tach and speedometer problem

1998 Honda Accord LE
VTEC V-6
4-speed automatic
179,000 miles

Recently replaced the AC compressor which required removal of the alternator. In my apparent haste to finish the job I only hand tightened the positive connection to the alternator (my bad[&o]). Over the course of a week the connection loosened until the car would not start as there was not enough charge in the battery – no indication of any problems up to this point. After several hours the battery refreshed enough to start the car at which point I drove it to the local auto parts store for a recharge.

During the drive, to the best of my recollection, all of the indicators on the dash were lit, e.g. door open sensors. I can’t recall if the tach and speedometer were working or not but I think I would have noticed if they were not. After the battery was charged and the nut on the back of the alternator tightened all seems to be well except the speedometer and tach are both dead. The tach does, however, jump up to the “0” line when the power is turned on (prior to starting the engine). The tech who removed the battery from the car did struggle a bit with the battery harness removal.

I’ve checked the connections around the battery and all appear to be intact. I’ve also visually inspected the fuses. Any suggestion greatly appreciated! Jim