General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re: getting trans rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Default Question re: getting trans rebuilt

I'm needing a mechanic to deal with my transmission issue ( My check engine light went on and OBD gave me 4 trans error codes - I did a Trans fluid change and disconnecting the battery - and after a little driving - my Check Engine light came on again - and gave me 3 error codes - all related to transmission again ) - and I know an honest mechanic that does good work for several people I know through friends and family. His rates aren't that much cheaper than a Dealership per hour - but I know he won't mess anything else up while he's working under the car and he does good work.

Stopped by his shop today to get an idea of what I'd be looking at for my Transmission - and a range of what it would cost - and if I needed a new transmission - what kindof cost would we be talking about - buying new Honda - rebuilt - Autozone trans - etc?

He said that he has a guy who does good transmission rebuilds for him and that if it was any major work that rebuilt would be what he would recommend rather than a new Honda - or junker.

My Transmission is already having some kindof problem ( at 82k miles ) - would a rebuild be the way to go? I just did a little reading - and found that a rebuild replaces part with major wear on them. With the miles I have on there - not sure he's going to see any major wear on anything.

I"m dropping my car off Tuesday for him to take a look and give me some prices based on what needs to be done. Said could range from a couple hundred dollars ( i.e. a solenoid needs replacing ) to $2,500 with labor on the high end if I needed to have my trans rebuilt.

My car is a
2000 Honda Accord EX -
4 cyl
auto trans
82k miles

I'm surprised the transmission is having problems with the low miles on it. I don't want to put a bunch of money in when I don't need to - but I also want the repair done right.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to if my car ends up being a candidate for major trans work what I should be looking at as a choice for major trans work.

Rebuilt?
Junkyard trans?
New OEM Honda Trans?
Auto Zone? ( they have a 1,000 rebate on their transmission if I return my trans to them - and I get a 3 year warranty )
Should I look at an AAMCO - or other reliable source?
etc?

Thanks

Last edited by voteforpedro; 10-07-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM

I think you're right not to take it to a dealership. I bought a dealership rebuilt auto tranny for my 02 v6 and even had them install it. Now, fifteen thousand miles later, its making popping noises and slipping going into second. Not to mention that I had to have the original transmission replaced after 85 thousand easy highway miles (i baby the hell out of my car).

If 2500 is the high end, you're not doing too bad. From the sounds of it, they're not going to need to replace too much because you're really doing preventative maintainence more than repairs. If this guy gets good reviews and he uses good parts, then you don't need to worry.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

The 98-02 accords had massive problems with their automatic transmissions. I have heard horror stories of people replacing them 3 or 4 times in just a few years. Replacing it or rebuilding it there is still no guarantee it wont happen again. Your best bet would be to go with an option that has the best warranty or to sell the car.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM

* bump *