General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rack and pinion advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 11:28 PM
Default Rack and pinion advice needed

In the last 4 months I have replaced twice the rack and pinion of my Honda Accord 2005 and it’s leaking again. I used the O'Reilly Auto Parts - MasterPro Power Steering Rack And Pinion - Remanufactured - 305-0147. Now I have to pay labor for the 3rd time because the tech does not warranty his labor when you bring your own part. Can you please recommend a reliable supplier? The MasterPro brand is made by BBB Industries, which appears to be junk. Thank you.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:49 AM

Yeah, I never liked masterpro. I tend to stay away from those kind of parts that they sell at the auto part stores unless it's something simple. Even when I went to buy a new axle. I still used rockauto. If I were you, I would check rock auto and do some research on what brand you can trust.

Another thing, are you sure it's because of a bad rack? Where is it leaking? Maybe it's because something the mechanic did? I'm reading the instructions that it is recommended to replace all power steering lines and hoses. Was that done on the car? Or could you not find the parts for that? From what I gather you must imply that leak is coming from the rack itself outside of a seal?

I just hope it's not something that causing the rack to become bad and if you put in another one, it happens again. But it's probably most likely the part.

Last edited by plenum; 05-01-2023 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:00 PM

The driver side boot has fluid inside, because a tech make a small hole in it and power steering fluid started dripping. The original tech installed a high pressure line also when installing the reman racks twice, but he did not flush the old fluid when replacing it twice, but from I have heard, it's unlikely that it caused the leak twice. Also, in the past I had used the red liquid to stop the leak on the original rack (at least 5 bottles), so not sure if that has any affects. Thank you.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:23 AM

User "plenum" thank you for your reply, which I received via email, but do not see it here posted. I appreciate your time. It seems that most mechanics would warranty their work only if you buy the part from them (with a big markup). I just got a quote from another mechanic to replace the rack and pinion again, and he ironically quoted me the same reman rack for $558 (plus $400 labor), which I purchased from O'Reilly for $248. So it seems that the markup they add to the parts allow them to once in a while redo a job for free, and still come ahead. I need to see if it's even worth replacing it for the 3rd time, or just keep adding steering fluid.

Old 05-09-2023, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by user12
User "plenum" thank you for your reply, which I received via email, but do not see it here posted. I appreciate your time. It seems that most mechanics would warranty their work only if you buy the part from them (with a big markup). I just got a quote from another mechanic to replace the rack and pinion again, and he ironically quoted me the same reman rack for $558 (plus $400 labor), which I purchased from O'Reilly for $248. So it seems that the markup they add to the parts allow them to once in a while redo a job for free, and still come ahead. I need to see if it's even worth replacing it for the 3rd time, or just keep adding steering fluid.
Did they say anything about fixing the leak itself rather than replace the whole part? Did they inspect the part before putting it in? Why would they do it twice?

Last edited by plenum; 05-09-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:11 PM

The driver side boot of the rack was full of fluid 2 months after the first install, and the tech said that he needs to install a new one because this one is leaking. The part was under warranty, but I paid again $400 for the installation. Now I have the same issue again, but this time he does not return my calls. The sad part is that O'Reilly has a $250 warranty claim option, where he files a claim with them and they pay him $250 because their part failed, but he does not want to be bothered, it seems. Also, he only takes cash and does not issue receipts. So, hopefully that sheds light on the type of tech I am dealing with.

Old 05-09-2023, 11:35 PM

The driver side boot of the rack was full of fluid 2 months after the first install, and the tech said that he needs to install a new one because this one is leaking. The part was under warranty, but I paid again $400 for the installation. Now I have the same issue again, but this time he does not return my calls. The sad part is that O'Reilly has a $250 warranty claim option, where he files a claim with them and they pay him $250 because their part failed, but he does not want to be bothered, it seems. Also, he only takes cash and does not issue receipts. So, hopefully that sheds light on the type of tech I am dealing with.
I'm starting to understand where you are coming from. I just thought it was strange after the part was found to be bad. Why use the same branded part again? If the part was under warranty, I would assume you get the refund for the part (Use the money to buy another rack but different brand aka better part). Why would he get the money for the part? I thought you paid for the part yourself? Or maybe that's the process they follow at the Oreilly Auto Parts, they need a mechanic to approve that it's a bad part? Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on here.

Anyways, I did some research. I thought maybe you could repair the leak. But maybe you can't repair this leak from what I'm gathering on the internet. I mean they do have a rack and pinion seal kit for a Honda 2005. I'm not really an expert on Rack And Pinions. So I can't really help you establish what went wrong, Or if something went wrong during the installation. Or maybe the mechanic made a mistake and wont admit to it. I just don't know. Did the mechanic actually take you into the shop when he had the car on the lift to show you anything?

I just think the best course of action is to just get a better part. I don't know maybe have someone inspect the part to make sure it's good. And then finally have a mechanic install it. Maybe it's better to even have a mechanic warranty his labor with the part he is going to install. Maybe find a mechanic that's not going to charge you too much for the part. You could probably find a mechanic that prefers that you bring the parts. I think you are at risk if you don't get that part and labor warranty and something goes wrong a 3rd time.

By the way, what happened to the rack that you put in, MasterPro 305-0147 (the first one)? Because what's the probability that two parts have failed from the same manufacturer on the same side, the driver's side? It's suppose to be a new seal, right? Kind of makes you wonder what's going on here?

Did Oreilly Auto Parts store say anything? Maybe they don't care? Other than yeah we will give you a refund for the part that's it. Or it's the manufacturer that gives you the refund?

Oh by the way, I did find a video on youtube showing how to replace power steering rack for the 2003-2007 Honda Accord. Maybe you can replace the power steering rack yourself? It's called How to easily replace a steering rack and pinion on a 2003-2007 honda accord at home save money.

Last edited by plenum; 05-10-2023 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:55 PM

I paid for the rack MasterPro 305-0147 myself. It started leaking and O'Reilly replaced it for free with the same part, which now leaks also. I paid $400 twice for the installation (total $800). I got this part twice because it is the only one in stock, and it was what the mechanic said to buy. I now know that they have a NEW rack, not remanufactured, on special order, that I can buy for more money, which I may do now for the 3rd attempt. The remanufactured rack that failed has 4 bad reviews, one of which is mine, and confirms the sentiment that remanufactured racks are not good most of the time, and will start leaking soon. Here is a link to the part and the reviews:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...305-0147&pos=0

O'Reilly doesn't care about the part, nor will they honestly say if they are getting most of them back, but will honor their warranty, which is probably the most I can expect from them. Of course the right thing would have been for the mechanic, or O'Reilly, to say: do not buy a reman rack, or you will regret it. They are not rebuilt reliably. I would have gladly paid more for a new one, if I knew that.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:35 AM

I paid for the rack MasterPro 305-0147 myself. It started leaking and O'Reilly replaced it for free with the same part, which now leaks also. I paid $400 twice for the installation (total $800). I got this part twice because it is the only one in stock, and it was what the mechanic said to buy. I now know that they have a NEW rack, not remanufactured, on special order, that I can buy for more money, which I may do now for the 3rd attempt. The remanufactured rack that failed has 4 bad reviews, one of which is mine, and confirms the sentiment that remanufactured racks are not good most of the time, and will start leaking soon. Here is a link to the part and the reviews:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...305-0147&pos=0

O'Reilly doesn't care about the part, nor will they honestly say if they are getting most of them back, but will honor their warranty, which is probably the most I can expect from them. Of course the right thing would have been for the mechanic, or O'Reilly, to say: do not buy a reman rack, or you will regret it. They are not rebuilt reliably. I would have gladly paid more for a new one, if I knew that.
Oh I agree with you. The mechanic should now warranty his labor since you bought the part that he told you to buy. Kind of like when I had a mechanic do a brake job for me, for $700. Something went wrong with one of the brake calipers and it was over heating. I brought the car in, no questions asked. They fixed the problem. And they didn't charge me extra. No wonder why the mechanic is ghosting you. Thanks for the heads up about this warning. I hope others will see this and not buy these horrible parts.

Oh woah, the guy in the video even says don't buy refurb rack and pinion @12:33 . Buy it completely brand new. Yeah, you are on the right track. Buy it new. Shouldn't the mechanic know about that? Yeah, I'm blaming the mechanic and the crappy automotive stores. His was only $180 from a amazon link. If he is trustworthy. And yes, you are looking at 3 times the amount the mechanic will try to sell you for the part he is going to put in there.

It's now $225 on amazon from detroit axle.

Detroit Axle - L4 Power Steering Rack & Pinion + Outer Tie Rods Replacement for 2003-2007 Honda Accord - 3pc Set

Last edited by plenum; 05-10-2023 at 12:51 AM.