General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rack and pinion boots replacement issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Rack and pinion boots replacement issue

So I am changing both the driver and passenger dust boots on the rack and pinion in my 96 Accord V6 EX. I ordered Raybestos boots, and the one for the driver side won't fit over the rack body, the i.d. of the boot is just too small.

I was at auto zone this morning, and asked if they had a replacement boot there to see and it was identical to the one I've got - too small i.d. for the boot to fit over the rack body.

What's strange is that the passenger side is fine. I'd use another of those on the driver side, but I am afraid that the boot for the pass. side is too long and it would bind up too tight if I were to use on the driver side. The rack body is of the same diameter on both ends, so I am wondering what gives!!?

Has anyone else ever run into this?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

I got mine, the 95, from the dealer so not much help....The 5th gens have/had the vent tube so that will cause some issues if you try swapping sides.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up Issue solved - VERY tight fit

Ok, so I had a go with the boot again today after regrouping and going to NAPA even too. What do you know, the same size boot again that the guy brings out. Nearly 1 & 3/4" i.d. on the boot I pulled off the car and the one to go back on it is about 1/8" smaller. Now that might not sound like much, but it results in the boot being nearly exactly the same diameter as the R&P body.

When I tried using the old boot from the passenger side, it just about immediately disintegrated, leaving me with no choice other than to have a look again at my dilemma with the new part.

After some cussing and choice words for those fine quality aftermarket part suppliers from a certain Asian location, I was able to finesse it in with my Snap-on hose removal tool. What a PITA - I can tell you now that if you plan to put one of these in, be patient and keep your hand wrapped around whatever part of the boot you get started and just work your way around. Again, like I said I doubt it will work without the right tool to help.

I would guess that other people that just go and purchase this part from nearly any auto parts store will encounter the same problem. I hope this helps somebody else from wasting time like I did!!

Oh, and the vent tubes are also a fun time to try to install, the clamps can be a major chore to move around with the lack of clearance you have.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 PM

Do you have to remove the steering rack to replace the boots? The ones on my 97 are shredded up pretty good. I'd like to get replace them my self but it sounds like a real PITA.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
Do you have to remove the steering rack to replace the boots? The ones on my 97 are shredded up pretty good. I'd like to get replace them my self but it sounds like a real PITA.
No but you will have to remove the outer tie rods, so suggest getting the align checked after.....pretty easy, if you are not fighting a boot that isn't quite the right size.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Thanks ... I'll stick with the OEM boots. Do you need one of those boot clamp pliers or any special tools?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, I'll get shot for this.....

Nothing special...reg tools (14, 17, 19 mm ?) to get the tie rod off....getting it off the knuckle may require a well placed tap with a hammer.
Once the jam nut is loose, count the number of turns it takes to get the outer tie rod off the inner-this way you can get "close" on the alignment on re-install.
I cut the large clamp on the boot with snips. The small clamp is like a key ring thing, comes off really easy. On installing, I used a zip tie for the large end and re-used the small one......

Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The drivers side boot is a PITA. After a half hour of struggling, I enlisted my nephew's help and he got it on in five minutes. Smaller hands definitely help.