General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Radiator Leak

I found a leak on my radiator. It appears to be coming from where the AT tranny coolant line goes into the radiator. The leak isn't coming from the hose, it seems to be coming from where the threaded nipple is going into the rad itself. I attached a picture showing what/where I'm talking about.

Is this fixable or do I need a new rad??

Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails Radiator Leak-honda-rad-leak.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Flash, we need to know what car you're driving. Put info in your signature.

I didn't think these fittings threaded into the radiator. Fitting appears new. Did you install? Is radiator new?

The trans cooler lines are carry ATF, not coolant, so coolant leaking from around this fitting would suggest a problem w/ the fitting penetration of the radiator.

New radiators are not expensive. check ebay for high rated sellers.

good luck

Old 06-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry about that, I thought that I had edited my signature.

It's a 88 LX carbed.

I thought that coolant leaking from that area was strange!! I figured that the coolant must be leaking around the fitting as that's the only place that it's coming from. The rad is used and came with the car. No I didn't put the fittings in. Might be time for a new rad.

Thanks!!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

ahh, a 3rd gen Accord...welcome my friend....yes I kind of like that gen, got four myself.

Either way, yes the rad is leaking, so the best answer is to replace. A few things to add to the list for this job, IMO.

Best time to replace the upper and lower hoses. Also with those fittings in the bottom it is an auto. So I would replace the trans cooler hoses, go to a good parts store and get ~3ft of trans cooler hose...NOT regular fuel line, MUST be for transmission...and about six clamps. You'll also need about a qt or two of trans fluid....or if you haven't changed it in a while you can do a drain and fill while you are there.....? drain and fill + rad change...plan on 4 qts.

Then suggest, not needed but you are there. A new t-stat and gasket.

Bleed the coolant with the heat set to max and you should be good to go.

Need help or tips, post up. Just did this in ~Oct or so with the 89 LXi (at least I supervised the oldest in doing it, his car so I just supervise) so it is still fresh in the mind...or what mind I have left.