General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Default Radiator replacement

I have a 1994 EX . I went to an independent Honda Repair specialty shop and asked them to replace the fuel filter. They indicated that it wasn't necessary to replace it . They said it never has to be replaced. They recommended that I replace the radiator. I flush the rad. twice a year. It was their opinion that the rad. could leak at any time and ruin the engine. If I need to replace to rad. should I buy on from the dealer. Your imput would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Default RE: Radiator replacement

go someplace else and have them replace the fuel filter, the radiator doesn't need to be replaced until it starts leaking, it will not be a major leak, the only way it would ruin the engine is if you car overheated and you kept driving it. By the way how many miles are on your accord, when I worked at a honda dealership the fuel filter recommended replacement was 90,000 miles.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:52 PM

I'll be picking one up from Napa tonight. Mine's cracked at the top center and epoxy didn't hold. I think it's $107, which is cheap. I imagine changing it will be easy, although it is an automatic trans model which may make it more of a headache.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

take a look at the radiator where the top tank is crimped onto the radiator body, there will be tell tale places of dried coolant if the seam is leaking.
Also cracks can occur around the cap filler neck, and where the fans mount.
Check your coolant level weekly to see if there is a loss.
I'd say to replace the fuel filter around 90-100k miles regardless of the fuel pressure. .
The Honda recomendation is to replace the fuel filter when there is a fuel pressure loss; do you really want to wait until you are stranded?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 PM

I also have a 1994 ex accord if you want to check if your rad is leaking turn the car on then open the hood and press the accelarator cable to get your engine moving a bit and look at the radiator if theres any leak you will notice it by doing this since the fluid will squirt out any crack usually will be at the top of the radiator thats how I found mine. Also I bought one at ebay like for 60 shipped and the install was a piece of cake. Great quality too hope this helps
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

my 1994 accord has 159K on it and is still on the original fuel filter.......the 98+ ones don't even have one (other than the typical strainer sock that all cars usually have )

rad is easy to change on this car and a good one with a lifetime warranty is about $150 (double core)