General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radio / antennae related problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Default Radio / antennae related problem

Hello and greetings from Finland!

I have a '96 Accord from which the starter blew sometime ago. I took it to a shop that replaced the starter but for some reason (I'm not sure if related) after that the radio stopped working properly.

It does not pick up the stations like it used to. I've put some WD40 onto the antennae contacts and the antennae itself and it did improve it just a bit, from being completely inaudible to being at times audible but still not satisfactory because if I drive even slightly away from the city centre (best signal) it stars to "seek pi" and the signal is slurred with static.

The car has a motor antennae so it can't be replaced with a common spare antennae. Any help?

Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum, feel free to move!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Hard to see how this would be related to a starter problem.

The power antenna may have failed. A good test would be to try a simple stub antenna plugged into antenna feed line at rear of car to check whether this dramatically improves reception. If no change, the problem is likely in the radio receiver itself.

Antenna wire damage is possible but very unlikely. You should inspect antenna feed wire/radio connection for security. It might be possible for wire to get accidentally pulled out while someone was fussing under dash w/ wiring for another reason.

good luck