General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problem/ Transmission Related?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:52 PM
guster900
Unregistered
Default Starting Problem/ Transmission Related?

I have a 2000 Honda Accord and sometimes it won't start. I have never been able to find a ryhm or reason, just seems totaly random. It cranks and cranks, but just won't start. I had the fuel system cleaned a couple months ago and have not had any problems untill today. Before, I could roll the car back about 15ft and a lot of times the car would start. So the mechanic who cleaned the fuel system thought maybe it could be a faulty sensor in the tranny. Since then I leave it in park for 15 seconds before turing it off.

Well last nite I 'think' I put it in park quickly and shut it off. This morning it would not start, just crank & crank. I tried rolling it back a bunch, no luck. Then I disconnected the battery for 15 min, and it started right up. ANY thoughts?

I also noticed that when I turn the key to the auxilary position, the car is in park, and the 'P' light is lit up as it should be, but the 'D4' light is lit up as well. If I shift down through the gears, once I get to 'D4' and then go back up to 'P' the 'D4' light goes off. Is that normal? Should the 'D4' light be on like that, when it's in park?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks[/align]

Old 03-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Starting Problem/ Transmission Related?

Once the car starts, does it run without problems?

Does the car not start when the D4 light is on? There might be a sensor on your shifter that cuts off the fuel or spark if the car doesn't think it is in neutral. Others might voice their opinion on this. I would think that a failing coil or ignitor would give you problems while you are driving too.

Also, I would have any error codes read at O'Reileys or Autozone to pinpoint a problem.

Typically a no start problem is either spark or fuel related. When you turn the key to on, you should hear the fuel pump start up for two seconds when the car isn't starting. You might need someone to turn the key to ON and listen near the gas cap.

For spark, make sure that your battery connections are clean and the connections are secure at all ends.

Good Luck.