General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio and Power Outlet; 2 issues or 1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Radio and Power Outlet; 2 issues or 1?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help you may offer

2003 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe

Repairs:
Transmission @ 11K (2004)
Radio @ 17K (2005)

Repair notes
At the time of my radio failure the shop told me they entire radio was replaced and not just the board.

Current Issue:

There is no display on the radio face and no sound from any device. HVAC, CD, etc all show nothing. I have lights on the buttons, lights on the CD slot and all my HVAC controls work, but I there is no indication of which vents are on (aside fro defrost buttons).

My power outlet (below the radio, not in the armrest) is also not functioning.

Troubleshooting and Diagnostic:
I first noticed an issue while driving over a rough patch of road, or bump. My radio would cut off, display would go blank and would suddenly come back. The problem steadily got worse, where at some points, I would start the car and the radio and outlet would not power. I noticed that whenever I lose the radio display, I'd also lose power from the outlet.

Steps take:
My dealership gave it a physical inspection (no computer) and gave me a ridiculous estimate for repair, stating the radio is bad. I have a case open with American Honda, as this unit was fully replaced 6 years ago. I've checked my the internal fuse box (5th fuse from the left on the bottom) and that looks good too.

I can't identify this problem, where the radio and outlet would work, then after hitting a bump turn off. There had been days pass until it came back on. There would be no physical bump or movement to bring it back on. Now I'm at a point where the radio has not had a display or sound for over a week and I'm getting concerned. Without knowing what to look for, I'm a little reluctant to start pulling the radio out and looking for cable connections.

Is it possible these two are connected and a replacement radio is all I need?

Filmar
2003 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe (with a broken radio that was replaced under warranty)

Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think a bad radio would cause the power socket to stop working as well.

When two unrelated items stop working, I first suspect a problem with a loose or corroded ground.

Go to the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum. Open the online shop manuals link. In the first post, there is a site for the 03-07 accord shop manual. Once you download, you have to use internet explorer to have the file run properly.

G501 and G506 are the two grounding bolts I would remove and clean with a wire brush that are used for the power socket.

To find the proper images of the ground, open the folders on the left: Body, then wiring system, then wire harness

One the right panel, click on dashboard wire harness locations. A new tab will open up with three images that show exactly where G501 and G506 are located.

That manual is useful, once you figure out how to navigate through it. I would probably try to clean G506 first. G501 has a lot of items grounding there. Also try to find any pinched wiring or worn insulation with bare wire exposed.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. As I suspected, America Honda is not supporting me and will not replace the radio, so I'm on my own.

I looked at printed the diagram for G506 and, correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like it is behind and to the right of the pocket compartment (when looking at the radio).

Do I need to remove the pocket assembly to gain access to this grounding cable?

Pardon my inexeperience - I consider myself handy, but I've never gone as far to take apart the insides of my car. Cabin air filter I can do, I'm slightly reluctant to make matter worse, but how much worse can I make them .

Unless I hear otherwise, my next steps are going to be to remove the pocket and look for G506 to clean and examine for lose cables. If I see wireing that is damaged or exposed, what are the best repair methods?

I'll try to take some pics of my progress to help validate what I'm seeing. I hope I have rights to post them

Thanks again, will be in touch as soon as I can open her up.

I'm simply having trouble understanding what failure would cause my radio to lose sound and functionality, plus my HVAC and my power outlet. I also see my passanager heated seat illumniation (not high and low) does not work. Drivers side glows when lights are on, this only turns on the high or low, when on... I'll see what else I can discover. Thanks again.

--Filmar

Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I opened the panel on the left side of the passenger seat and removed the pocket below the radio (and the steps prior to get it out). I found the connection where I assumed the G506 was in the diagram. It was a tight squeeze to get a wrench in there to take the bolt out, but I removed it and took this pic. I didn't see any crimped cables or loose connections... I put everything back together and there was no change.

I WAS able to eject and insert CDs. The Security light blinks, so I know the device is getting power.

The RADIO and HVAC display no lights. Headlights illuminate the press buttons. Neither of the power outlets work and the passenger seat warmer does not illuminate when the lights are on. The button does indicate when its on.

I have not checked the other ground cable, but I suspect it will be clean also. Any other thoughts as to where this all stems from?

When the radio was working - At the point of failure, all of these devices cut off (or turned on). My only point of reference was the radio, so I usually had that on.

Attached Thumbnails Radio and Power Outlet; 2 issues or 1?-img00077-20110914-1820.jpg   Radio and Power Outlet; 2 issues or 1?-img00081-20110914-1852.jpg   Radio and Power Outlet; 2 issues or 1?-img00080-20110914-1852.jpg   Radio and Power Outlet; 2 issues or 1?-img00076-20110914-1820.jpg  

Last edited by Filmar; 09-14-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

The radio is made by Alpine. I put a link below with an 800 number to call them to find out if they can repair the unit. They charge around $160 for the repair and it is much cheaper than buying one from the dealership. You would have to remove the radio and ship it to them.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...problem-33628/

Before doing this, you might want to do some tests. Check your fuses to see if the fuse is blown for the power outlets. I would use a volt meter and do some tests on the electrical connector for the power socket. The connector should have two wires going to it. When the key is in the II position, see if the wire that is not black has 12V to ground.

I have the same bulb out on my TSX for the passenger side seat heater, so I think it is a common problem. The seat heater works, so I haven't changed that bulb on my car.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks PA,

I'm reluctant to ship my radio for repairs, or buy a new once (ebay) if that is not the root cause. I can't get past the part where, all devices work and all devices don't work at the same time.

When all were working, hitting a bump caused the radio and the power outlet to fail. (I think the heater light was always off).

Is there anything else that ties these items together?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know. You will need to do some electrical testing.

My best suggestion is to start with the power outlets, because it is easier to access and is simpler circuit.

There should only be two wires plugging into the power socket. Use a volt meter to test the electrical connector to the power socket. It looks like the white/red wire should have 12V to ground with the key in the II position.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Progress!

In my journey to purchase a volt tester I hit some rough road - Mostly on purpose... Low and behold, my radio came back on after some rough bumps, as if I had just started my car 3 weeks ago!

Clock was on the right time, radio stations still programed. I immediately tested my power outlets and they were both working with my phone charger. The only single fault was with the bulb on my passenger heated seat. I'll order a replacement blub and see if that does the trick.

Here is the interesting point, which I never looked closely at. While the car is on, and the radio is functioning, the security light, does NOT blink on the radio. This entire time my radio and power outlets were out, the radio light was blinking, as if the the car was turned off. I purchased a meter so I would have it, as I suspect this wont be the end of the problems.

After my purchase, the radio came on the next time I started my car, as if there was never a problem.

At this point, is it possible there is a connection that is loose at the back of the radio that could cause power to fail to the display (but allow CD's to come out) and to the power outlets?

Or could this be a loose connection somewhere else?

Old 09-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

There is a connection issue somewhere...sorry, I'm guessing it will come back.

Now the fact that the radio presets were still there now brings the "unit" into play....if power to the unit was lost then so would the presets.???

Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Poorman,

What did you mean, "that brings the unit back into play". I assume you mean, I can count that is not being faulty?

I'm stumped, and reluctant to start pulling the radio out. I've gone 3 of 3, with start and stops today / tonight and the radio came on as it normally would, however any large bump could pop it off again.

I'm trying to analyze the facts here and find a single point of failure. I'm calling it one point of failure as I see the power outlets and the display/ sound issue being connected after todays events.

What did it mean, when I saw the radio alarm blinking when the car is running? The rest of my family has Honda's and I didn't see that. Now that everything is in working condition, the light only blinks when the car is off.

I agree this will happen again, and if I don't sell it first, I'd hate it to be the middle of winter when I'm freezing with a screwdriver stuck to my hand .

Any other thoughts on what connections still send power to the CD and the unit, but kill the display sound and power outlets?

--Filmar
2003 Accord EXL V6

Quick Reply: Radio and Power Outlet; 2 issues or 1?