General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Misfire/CEL Flashes

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Default Random Misfire/CEL Flashes

So, I'm having this weird thing happen with my car. Once in a blue moon, I'm at a stoplight, the car shakes a fair bit and my CEL flashes. It's down this like twice since I owned the car. Last time was a couple months ago.

The first time it happened the code said random misfire, can't remember the code number. I'm at 263k miles right now, so I guess it might have something to do with the engine age? Probably the valves starting to go out? I started putting 89 octane in my car to see if that would help it anyway, but I'm not sure I can tell. Car is otherwise running fine, accelerates well. CEL flashed for those few seconds and then stopped.

Thoughts anyone?

Update*

Ok, so I got the codes checked and this is what I have as follows:

P0302 Cylinder 2 Generic Misfire
P0420 Catalyst system below efficiency(Had this one for awhile)
P0401 -- Exhaust Gas recirculation insufficient flow
P0740 -- Torque converter clutch solenoid(Had this one before, but it went away after changing the transmission fluid)

So, I guess my EGR port is clogged? Should I clean it or just replace it?

Last edited by Hondahonda; 12-28-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I had the code with the egr and misfiring but no CEL for the misfiring. I cleaned the ports and kicked that out of the way but when im drivings it backfires before going to next gear and its always as im driving. Im interested of what may cause that. I have heard of the timing but i just want to see what other issues can cause this.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

need to address no. 2 cylinder issue. the FIRST thing i would do is a compression check with that kind of mileage. once you've established that it's good, then put new plugs and ignition wires on. SECOND thing, pull the EGR valve and clean it and the intake manifold passages and then report back. i don't much care for the P0420 or the P0740 right now.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Clean egr/ ports like Dr said. New plugs / wires. Distributor cap/ rotor. And with that kinda mileage check you timing belt and timing . It might be due to be changed if u never did it. And get the valves adjusted and you'll be good for another 100k ...... timing belt will be most expensive but most important if u didn't have it done in the last 100k..... if its still missing I would consider pulling some injectors out of a junk yard car will low miles. Too expensive for new ones. All that should tune up your motor. Honda motors last forever if u take care of them. 260k isn't that much but she'll need some love and money to be back in tip top shape if u plan on keeping the car

Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jroxz44
Clean egr/ ports like Dr said. New plugs / wires. Distributor cap/ rotor. And with that kinda mileage check you timing belt and timing . It might be due to be changed if u never did it. And get the valves adjusted and you'll be good for another 100k ...... timing belt will be most expensive but most important if u didn't have it done in the last 100k..... if its still missing I would consider pulling some injectors out of a junk yard car will low miles. Too expensive for new ones. All that should tune up your motor. Honda motors last forever if u take care of them. 260k isn't that much but she'll need some love and money to be back in tip top shape if u plan on keeping the car
Seems like I put nothing but money in this car. I'm still reeling from a head gasket job done in June that I paid to get done.

It got a new distributor February of this year, new plugs in April. When I did the head gasket I also had the timing belt done, so I'm sure the timings good on it.

Well sort of good news, I took the car to my mechanic today and five hours of labor later he cleaned out all the EGR ports and took the EGR valve off and cleaned it up too. He said he spent 45 minutes cleaning out the first port. My mechanic said the way the engines designed and since the ports are so small there were poorly designed and that's why the carbon deposits collect in there. Took them an entire hour to clean it. Turns out it can be prevented though, they have some stuff comparable to seafoam that I guess they pump through the intake or somewhere and smoke all that carbon out of the ports without taking anything apart. Isn't that awesome!?

Add that to the list of required work at the 100k maintenance of your car.

Last edited by Hondahonda; 02-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.