General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Random Misfiring Rough at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Default Random Misfiring Rough at Idle

I am new at this site. I have tried read up on mostly everyone tread related to mine. But no Success.

This issues started when I replace the engine coolant sensor. The owner previous to me turned off the check engine light. When I took to get it smog it read as gross polluter and the Engine Coolant Sensor was damage.

When I change the Sensor and fix the check engine light it threw P301 (cynlinder one) P304 (Cynlinder 4) and P300 Random misfiring. When its cold the engine runs smooth as soon as the engine warms up the engine begins to shake and the problems begin to happen. Every time I drive and stop the engine shuts off. If the car goes below 900 rpm it will shut off. Poor gas Mileage 300-320.

What I have changed:
Wires
Cap and Rotor
Coil
Spark plugs
Distributor

I have checked everything except the ECU. Three people have told me I may have a bad ECU.

Any suggestion please let me know. I checked done process of elimination and no success to date.

1996 Honda Accord 2.2L Non Vtec EX Manual

Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Was the car running ok before changing the ECT? What brand of sensor did you use?

What levels were high when you did the emissions test? CO, NOX, etc...

Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No basis for replacing ECU since engine is missing and miss codes are being thrown.

No other DTC codes are being set?

Suggest getting a scanner that can produce scanned info when code is set; Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT), Short TFT, coolant temp, Inlet Air Temp, etc. These may provide a clue to problem.

If miss is consistently present, check missing cylinders (1 & 4?) for lack of spark using an inductive timing light on spark plug wire. No flash means no fire. This will determine if problem is fire or fuel/air problem.

good luck

Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM

It was running ok, as soon as I changed it that when the issues started to happened. I do not know the brand. I got it from one of my local auto supplies.

Attached Thumbnails Random Misfiring Rough at Idle-smog.jpg  
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If new ECT provided faulty signal (poor sensor), it might not set a code but would cause engine to operate poorly causing the misfire codes.

If you have a Volt-Ohm meter to measure resistance, you can check the resistance vs. temperature. Put sensor in ice bath and measure resistance (spec is ~ 1.4 kohms +/- 20% interpolated from manual, tolerance is guess).
In boiling water resistance should decrease to ~0.2 kohms.

If you check "Online Manuals" post in DIY forum, you can download a 94-97 Accord manual which should have the Resistance vs. Temperature plot I took above values from.

good luck