General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Default Random Idle problem

Hi,

I have this idling problem that only happens rarely and is random.

I'll start the car and it will have problems trying to idle, rpm gauge moves up and and down and then the engine dies.

I did notice if i put my foot on the gas the engine will run until I take my foot off.

Whenever I have this problem I found out that I'll have to put my foot on the gas a little, and let go the pedal and put the car in drive or reverse and the car will stay running after i drive it. I have to drive it a little or else the engine will cut off after putting it in D4 or R. Even while at a stop light the car will stay idle as long as i forced it to drive after starting the car.

I have a 2000 Honda Accord V6 2Dr Coupe Automatic Transmission with135K miles. I just had an oil and oil filter change and transmission fluid done last week. Brand new brake pads and rotor and fluid done at the dealer a month ago. The only modification I have on the car is an AEM Short Ram Intake system that was installed back in 2002. I clean and oil the filter a few months back thinking it would help the problem. Problem occurs randomly about once a month. Replaced the battery about 8 months ago. But has not happened for the past 2 months.

Last edited by investmentbanker; 03-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Does this happen on cold starts - car has been sitting for more than ~2 hours. Or does this happen on "hot starts"- car sat for ~20 minutes since last running?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Does this happen on cold starts - car has been sitting for more than ~2 hours. Or does this happen on "hot starts"- car sat for ~20 minutes since last running?
I want to say hot. I remember the most recent time it happened, I drove the car across town and stopped at walmart to buy stuff. About an hour later I got back in the car and the car wouldn't stay idle. Since I was in a parking lot I had to throw it in reverse and the engine almost cut off while I put it in drive. While in drive for a few seconds I notice my headlights dimed a little while accelerating. After about 10 seconds of driving everything was normal, the car would stay idle at a stop sign.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well there are a few ideas I have....some of the 6th gen v6's had/have an issue with vapor lock...winter blend gas seems to make it happen more.

Get into a habit of listening for the fuel pump to prime when the conditions are "right". Might have to shut off all noise.....blower motor, radio, be sure the doors are shut, ect. Whne the key is turned to "on"...listen for the pump to run for ~2 sec...the CEL is on and then goes off.