General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rapid Flasher Relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Default Flasher Relay Keeps Clicking

92 accord 2.2 A/T.

Anytime the key is in the "run" position, (engine running or not), the flasher/turn signal relay is clicking away all by itself, at a rate 2-3 times faster than normal, WITHOUT the turn signals or hazards switches turned on. No lights are flashing while this occurs.

However, when engaging the right or left turn signal, or the hazard switch, this relay returns to operating perfectly at normal speed, including all the affiliated lights/bulbs.

I did notice that this car has/had an alarm system, (siren wires are cut, and I have no remote), and that with the key in that run position, (again running or not), that a little red alarm light on the dash is flashing, (not at the same rythmn as the rapid relay). I disconnected the alarm "brain", but still have the problem.

I'm stumped! Help is mucho appreciated.

Last edited by hondaddy; 09-16-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: poor response c
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

The relay clicks too fast, but when turning on the signals or hazard light, all the lights work at normal speed?

I'm confused, can you explain the problem a little bit more.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Ok. I get in the car and turn the key to the Run position. I immediately hear a relay rapidly clicking, which will continue once the car is started, and while driving. I can change/affect this rapid clicking by turning on a turn signal or hazard switch, which then makes this same relay operate at a normal flasher/turn signal speed. The associated lights all work and flash as they should when engaging either the turn signals or hazards. When I turn off the hazards or turn signals, this relay returns to making its rapid clicking. No lights are engaging while it's doing this.

Hope that paints a clearer picture, and hopefully draws a solution!

Thanks

Last edited by hondaddy; 09-16-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

That makes more sense. The problem can be either the relay, the hazard switch, the turn signal switch, or the wiring.

The first thing I would do is to just remove the turn signal/hazard relay and turn the key on just to make sure that is the relay causing you problems.

The easiest test would be to pry out the hazard switch and unplug it. There should be a little notch under the switch where you can pry it out with a tiny screw driver.

Turn on the key and see if the relay still makes noise. If the noise goes away, replace the hazard switch. Replace if the noise goes away.

Do the same thing for the turn signal switch. You will have to remove the cover behind the steering wheel to do this.

The last test you can do is to see if the B pin on the fuse box is open to ground by using a volt meter. When looking at the fuse box the B pin is on the right and is vertical. If that pin is open to ground with both switches plugged in, then replace the relay.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I wish to give one more thought. Are you sure this is the flasher/relay or is it a relay that was installed for the alarm system? With the relay that is clicking removed, do the turn signals still work. Is the clicking relay plugged into the fuse box. I know, dumb question just had to ask.

EDIT: I only ask as I am slowing de-alarming my 95. Same thing, since I've had it (8~10 years) I've never had the remote or had it working. Found an added relay or two along the way.

Last edited by poorman212; 09-16-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 PM

VICTORY!!! Turns out the culprit was the turn signal switch.

The turn signal/hazard relay SOCKET, a 3 prong, works as follows: (As it’s mounted on the car), the Top prong socket, (labeled B) is Hot with the key on. The bottom prong socket, (labeled E) is Ground. The side prong socket, (labeled L) receives the activation signal, (a ground), from either the turn signals or the hazard switch, engaging the relay.

Problem: The “L” socket for the relay was reading a very slight ground with the “bad” turn signal switch connected, (no turn selected), giving the relay a semi-working activation, hence a rapid chattering/clicking.

Solution: Replacing this turn switch showed a Zero ground at “L”, (no turn selected), and a full ground with left or right turn selected. Same with Hazards selected.

Whew. I now have a perfect working relay and a tad bit more knowlege. Thanks Pahonda and Poorman212 !

Old 09-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you figured it out and that we could help.

Thanks for posting your results. You would be surprised how many people do not do that.