General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rattling from rear of car

Old 10-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Default Rattling from rear of car

Hi everyone,
I have a 2007 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6. I purchased it 3 months ago, and it currently has 2,800 miles on it.
At about 300 miles, the dash started rattling like crazy and hasn’t stopped since. At about 500 miles, something in the rear of the car started rattling as well. I have given up on the rattling of the dash, but the rattling in the rear is driving me nuts:

- definitely from the rear of the car
- put down the folding seats, and still rattled, so not from the rear seats
- checked the jack – solid and can’t move
- checked the tire lug wrench – wrapped all of it in thick plastic and placed securely
- checked the spare tire – doesn’t move
- checked the dual exhaust – doesn’t move either
- checked the license plate frame – screwed on tight
- checked the trunk lift rods and springs on the underside of the trunk lid – doesn’t move

- when driving on the freeway, you can’t hear it because all the other road noise overpowers it

- when going over bumps or any kind of car body motion, the rattling, clanking will occur

- the sound is a muffled sound, but sounds like something probably metallic rattling against something else

- may or may not be the struts, because I tested driving around with my windows down and the rattling seems to come from inside and not outside

Any ideas or suggestions at all?

My final recourse may be to take it to the dealer, but I hate to have them tear apart the trunk!

Thanks!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Rattling from rear of car

throw someone in your backseat (with it folded down) and have them look while you drive, or you look while they drive. be careful though...

Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

The car is under warranty, so I would just take it to the dealer and not worry about it. I have heard of others with rattling sounds on the newer accords, so I'm sure they have experienced this problem before.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM

Push up and down on the rear quarter of the car. Can you hear the rattle? If so, do the same while someone is looking around the wheel area. Maybe they'll be able to tell you what appears to be rattling.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:56 PM

I am not flameing anyone but if this car was manufactured / assembled in Japan, I am very suprised at the dash rattle specifically, these people glue everything together, its a technicians joke that the reason Japanese glue / loctite all the nuts and bolts on is because they arent strong enough to torque them down by hand, actually they have learned thru quality assurance that there is less problems like you are experiencing, hope you can get it all fixed.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM

i have the same problem but mines a 96.
I just kind of got over it.
it doesnt rattle when i drive, but makes a rather loud clunking whenever i go over a bump.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:35 AM

does it clunk in front? sounds like a ball joint. i had that in my 94

Old 10-06-2007, 12:43 AM

no mines definetly coming from the back.
Im not sure if the ball joint == CV boot... but I just got that fixed about 2 months ago.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:46 AM

nope...ball joint does not equal cv joint, but the noise would be from the front.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:52 AM

yea the noise is definetly from the back
it usually happens when Im making a turn and theres a bump in the turn... like a pothole. Theres the normal road noise that occurs when you hit a bump, as well as a "cla-clunk" thats too metallic-y to be from road noise.
P.S. sorry if im kind of hijacking your thread dknight.