General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda762
Unregistered
Question Rear Brakes?

I have a 2007 Honda Accord SE 4cyl with 37000 miles on the car. the dealer vis telling me that I only have 3mm left on my back brakes and they need replaced? Are they full of $hit or could this be true? They show that the front brakes are fine, but the back ones need replaced. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT! thanks!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have seen rear pads installed w/ the caliper piston misaligned (must be rotated to correct alignment). A small stud on the pad does not enter the + grooves on the piston. Result is slightly cocked pad which will wear rapidly on one end. You should be able to use a mirror and inspect pads through openings in aluminum wheels. If steel wheels, pull the wheel and inspect pads yourself.

good luck

Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Honda762
Unregistered
Question Hard to replace?

Is it hard to replace my rear brakes or do I just need to pull a couple of bolts and swap out the pads? Can I just leave the brake fluid alone?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Rear brake pistons have to be twisted to retract; can't just press them in with a C-clamp. The handbrake auto-adjust mechanism is inside the caliper. Be careful about the rubber dust boots wrinkling & tearing.

This can be done without draining fluid or bleeding the brakes. But somewhere along here you want to flush fresh fluid thru the brake system anyway (every 2 or 3 years).

I would definitely take this opportunity to clean up the caliper slide pins & generally clean up all that stuff.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM

yeah it should be pretty much that easy, but if you havent done a brake job yet you might want to buy a haynes repair manual-available at autozone for like $10-$20, it will guide you through step by step on anything from a brake job to an engine swap. also, i think the rear calipers have to be twisted to retract them, not just pushed straight in. and you shouldnt have to add any brake fluid unless its already low.

Good Luck