General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear Brakes - supporting rear of car on jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Rear Brakes - supporting rear of car on jackstands

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but have a question. I did a search but didn't see anything that looked like it was what I needed to know.

I have a 2006 Honda Accord (2.4L I-4, EX, Automatic if it makes a difference). The car has been good but I think it is time for the rear brakes to be replaced. I replaced the front brakes last weekend without a whole lot of trouble but I am having a problem figuring out how to get the rear of the car on jackstands.

The problem is I don't know where to put the jack itself so that I can put the jackstands on the lifting points on the frame. I read on another forum that you can use the "tow bar" under the rear of the frame but my car doesn't have anything that looks to me like a tow bar. I could be looking for the wrong thing - I'm picturing something that looks like a Reese hitch.

What it does have is a reinforcing bar of steel underneath the spare tire well. On the end underneath the center of the well is a pad-looking area that looks like a good point. The pad itself is very similar to the place I jacked up the front. The other end (near the rear bumper) has a loop. I read on the same forum I mentioned earlier that you definitely do not want to jack the rear of the car using the spare tire well but I don't know if this is what they meant or if they knew of this feature on the car. Also, this bar just kind of ends underneath the tire well so the whole thing could go up if I get it wrong.

The only other promising thing I see is the channel underneath the car that connects the rear suspension to the frame. I do not want to risk bending that, lest I wind up summarily scr#wed.

While I am at this - how hard are the front rotors to replace on the '06? I just did pads since the rotors were in good shape but would like to have them turned. However, I don't want to take the car to a shop and would prefer to just take the rotors to an auto machine shop to be turned if possible. I know they are screwed to the hubs but will I have to get the halfshaft out?

One thing I love about my wife's previous car (Chevy Malibu) is that it had "floating rotors" so replacing them was easy to do. Of course, it being a Chevrolet (especially a FWD Chevrolet), ease of parts replacement is important.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 07-05-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM

you can jack the car up from the pinch weld and also put the jackstands on it also, hondas have an extended sort of pinch which makes it easy see. the pinch weld runs the length of the car and is the first thing you see when you look under there. as for the rotors there a piece of cake. pop the screws out youre done, you may need and impact driver to get the screws out also.