General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear brakes changed stripped bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Question rear brakes changed stripped bolts???

i always have hardest time with my 09 4D rear brakes and strip the bolts off like always anyone have any tips on how to make this an easyer job then having to replace the bolts every other time i change the break pads. any input would be great since i spent 3 hours doing my back breaks because of the damn bolts on both sides. also one side question is it better to change the brakes after the car has cooled off?

I tried a few tricks of my whole was taking the cap off the brake fluid to release any pressure and also i spayed down the parts with brake cleaner but not much helps. and i made sure the parking brake was down.

any help would be great since i live in the SG Valley it was hotter then hell outside changing brake pads

Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Use a 6-point socket or wrench to loosen the bolt, while using a wrench to hold the caliper slide pin.

6-point sockets or wrenches grip more of the surface of the bolt head and less chance of rounding like 12-point sockets or wrenches.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Makes no real difference whether car is hot or cool when changing brakes, although cool is preferable.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Use a 6-point socket or wrench to loosen the bolt, while using a wrench to hold the caliper slide pin.

6-point sockets or wrenches grip more of the surface of the bolt head and less chance of rounding like 12-point sockets or wrenches.

Ya i figured cool is better since i burned my fingers on the bolts of my tire. but i had a wrench gripping the caliper bolt and i eventally turned that to loosing the bolt holding the caliper inplace just took forever and i cut my hands afew times trying to force the damn bolt to turn. do you know if maybe getting better style calipers then the stock ones would help?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Generally, I try not to turn the caliper slide pin (to prevent accidentally ripping the rubber boot); I only hold the slide pin with the open wrench.

It's not really the caliper. It probably may be the tools you are using (that is, the ratchet and the socket). I only use a 6-point socket on the bolt head and use my favorite Sears Craftsman 3/8" drive "Premium Grade" ratchet (which has 84-teeth for a shorter swing and a longer handle for more leverage). I have a bunch of 3/8" drive ratchets, the Premium Grade one cost a little more; but, never fails me.

Some people use a cheater pipe over their ratchet to give them more leverage.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Generally, I try not to turn the caliper slide pin (to prevent accidentally ripping the rubber boot); I only hold the slide pin with the open wrench.

It's not really the caliper. It probably may be the tools you are using (that is, the ratchet and the socket). I only use a 6-point socket on the bolt head and use my favorite Sears Craftsman 3/8" drive "Premium Grade" ratchet (which has 84-teeth for a shorter swing and a longer handle for more leverage). I have a bunch of 3/8" drive ratchets, the Premium Grade one cost a little more; but, never fails me.

Some people use a cheater pipe over their ratchet to give them more leverage.
Ok well looks like i need to go to sears.com and get some better tools mine are a bit rusty anyways most of them handdowns from my grand fathers tool boxes mixed tools all over the place. but thanks for the input. i just thought mine were extremely over tight so i will try some new tools and the 6-point socket and try that out and see what happens.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

When I was a teenager, I didn't know about 6-point sockets and couldn't afford better tools. Know I now the better tools makes a job way easier and faster.

The premium grade ratchet are available at the Sears stores too. The trick to getting a discount is to order on-line at Sears.com and selecting pick-up in store. The discount is available right now (like 15% off), I just checked. If you don't order on-line, you don't get the discount in store.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you're using SAE sizes to turn metric bolts, you'll have problems.

Get a good set of 3/8" drive metric sockets, 3/8" ratchet. Also a 18" x 1/2" breaker bar w/ 1/2x3/8 adapter for those really tough bolts.

good luck