General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear Brakes Still Squeaking - What Is Next Step?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Default Rear Brakes Still Squeaking - What Is Next Step?

I recently had the rear brakes shoes replaced, along with a parking brake adjustment. I was hoping to remedy the squeak coming from the right rear.

Unfortunately, I'm still hearing the squeak. To add to this problem, the squeak is intermittent. When I bring the car in, no squeaking at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 AM

are you sure its not the wheel bearing? which squeals once the bearing is warmed up and hot? or is it when u hit the brakes

Old 06-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by phantom699
are you sure its not the wheel bearing? which squeals once the bearing is warmed up and hot? or is it when u hit the brakes
It's definitely when I hit the brake.

In fact, I can isolate when it happens most. To get out of my parking space, I always back up. When I hit the brake, this is when the right rear wheel almost always squeaks.

When I get to the repair shop, I can't duplicate the noise, even after the car has been sitting.

Rob

Old 06-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Is it a long squeak, like a squealing or just a small squeak?

At the shop we would occasionally have people want us to check this out. Usually the fix is a good greasing. There are key spots to grease up every time you do the brakes.

First you gotta blow compressed air at the brakes to get the dust out and spray it down with brake cleaner.

For rear drums you want to put anti-seize at the contact points behind the shoe and the backing plate. And you also want to put caliper grease at the cylinder piston contact points (different from anti seize as it does not swell up boots). Make sure to keep the shoes themselves clean from grease.

If that doesn't stop it then it could be a squeaky cylinder. That really just involves a replacement (or rebuild if you really wanna). But a squeaky cylinder doesn't really pose a safety issue.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:56 PM

"Is it a long squeak, like a squealing or just a small squeak?"

I would definitely say it's a small squeak, just as the car stops. Again, I'm going very slow in the garage.

What does the cylinder look like on a drum brake? If you can attach a picture, that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

where the brake drums turned when the shoes replaced?? if not i would have them turned and try again, hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a pic of the drum brake set up - a red arrow to the wheel cyl.

Also, I'm a fan of washing out the brake dust with brake cleaner. Using air to blow that dust off, lets just say I grew up when they still used asbestos in brake pads and shoes.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Brakes Still Squeaking - What Is Next Step?-5th-gen-drum-brake.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 AM

A little asbestos grows hair on your chest

...or in your chest

That pic coincidentally shows the ideal grease spots in the other arrows. The white arrows are where I put anti-seize and then black one are where I put caliper grease. But you can use caliper grease for all of them if you only used one type.