General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Default Starting problem

I've got a 1996 honda accord ex and I've been having an occasional problem with it starting recently. When I go to start it the dashboard light come on just like normal but the engine doesn't start, or make any noise at all, no clicking nothing. After a few times I noticed that both the drive gear light and the parking gear light were both lighting up when I tried to start it. So I put the key in the shift lock release and put it in neutral and it started right up. Now however that doesn't seen to be working anymore, but if I leave the car alone for a few minutes and come back it usually starts up no problem. I first thought maybe something with the gear shifter or transmission because it's similar to when if someone leaves the car in drive and you go to try to start it and nothing happens. Any idea what could be doing this?Something wrong with the gear shifter? A bad starter? Transmission issue?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

A bad starter should be random whichever gear it's in. Or maybe a coincidence about being in neutral and that's not repeatable??? Same goes for a flaky ignition switch - doesn't matter what gear it's in.

A transmission issue wouldn't prevent the starter motor from running.

A flaky gear indicator switch? That's the switch that indicates which gear you're in, and prevents you from starting when it's in Drive.

Anyway, I think this belongs more in General Tech, rather than Engine/Internal. I'll move it over there where you probably get more people reading it.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:49 PM
cj1
Newest Of Newbies

Park/Neutral Position switch may have a problem. You will need a wiring diagram and volt/ohm meter to check it out.