General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear bumper + trunk leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Default rear bumper + trunk leak

I posted a question a while back on what the reason for the leak in the trunk of my 97 accord could be from. It was suggested i replace my tail light gaskets...I did that but recently noticed the leak from the same side ( passenger side) of my trunk to a lesser degree so I'm thinking theres a whole somewhere in my trunk. the only place i isolated the problem to was behind the wheel well under the trunk although its not very visible from the inside and the only way for me to get a better look at it would be from the outside. i would therefore need to remove the rear bumper which i intend to do tomorrow when the weather is good and rain free. Can anyone provide me with directions and or a diagram on how to do this as well as what size sockets and tools that'll be required.

Also, Just yesterday i received a second gasket I ordered fo my drivers side tail light. I replaced it but I'm not thinking i didnt apply enough silicone and shortly after it started to rain and I noticed some water in that side of the trunk. I dont know what to do but I think the silicone dried today and i didnt notice much of anything on that side. My question is if i do start to notice that there is a leak becuase i didn't apply enough silicone n the first place and partly due to the weather. Will i have to order another gasket in or is there a way around that.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Default RE: rear bumper + trunk leak

If you remove that gasket just be careful and if you're good enough you can salvage it. I take it your trunk lid gasket is in good shape, no tears or flat spots right? Also, you might want to just double check that your trunk is seating properly and all the way down. When it is closed I assume that it is nice and snug and not loose or have any play? Just some thoughts before you go through the hassle of removing the bumper...