General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear deck removal to remove trunk hinges

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:22 PM
Default Rear deck removal to remove trunk hinges

I have a 2001 Accord that was rear ended the bumper of the SUV that hit it missed my bumper and hit the trunk lid shoved it halfway up the length of the trunk. This resulted in bending the hinges as well as the trunk lid. This is a 4 door lx sedan. I can see the bolts holding the hinges to the car are under the deck covering. I know from YouTube how to get the speaker covers off and speakers out but that doesn't get you into those 4 10mm hinge bolts. What all has to come out in the trunk to get that rear deck cover to come off. I've found nothing on dozens of searches about changing those hinges. Lots about the tension rods and the speakers and taking the trunk lid off the hinges but nothing about taking the hinges out of the car. Must be akin to changing a heater core on a Ford Taurus. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog
I have a 2001 Accord that was rear ended the bumper of the SUV that hit it missed my bumper and hit the trunk lid shoved it halfway up the length of the trunk. This resulted in bending the hinges as well as the trunk lid. This is a 4 door lx sedan. I can see the bolts holding the hinges to the car are under the deck covering. I know from YouTube how to get the speaker covers off and speakers out but that doesn't get you into those 4 10mm hinge bolts. What all has to come out in the trunk to get that rear deck cover to come off. I've found nothing on dozens of searches about changing those hinges. Lots about the tension rods and the speakers and taking the trunk lid off the hinges but nothing about taking the hinges out of the car. Must be akin to changing a heater core on a Ford Taurus. Thanks for any help.
I just want to know how to get the cover off the rear deck (rear dash) so I can get to the 4 bolts holding the hinges on the car. I don't want to destroy the deck/dash covering.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

The trunk also has a torsion bar to help opening/closing. It looks like there are 2-4 clips on the rear shelf near the glass. The number of clips depend on if you have a sedan or coupe.

I've never had to remove the rear shelf. My best suggestion is to download the 98-02 shop manual from automanualsource.com. It is $20 and worth every penny.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 PM

The hinges cant be removed from the car without taking that shelf cover off first.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think there are clips around the outer edge of the cover. If you can't see any screws, then it has those metal tang type clips that fit into slots in the metal. I've never really looked at removing it, but would think you have to take it off if you were swapping the struts for new ones. That might be another way to search for the removal of that cover. Just a thought.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:28 PM

Thank you toecutter. This car was rear ended and the hinges were bent so the replacement trunk lid doesn't fit. Otherwise if never attempt removing them.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the sedan page from the shop manual.

Here's the coupe page.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Thank you JimBlake that is exactly what I needed you've saved me a lot of trouble. Looks extremely complicated but now it should be a breeze with that diagram to look at. I missed seeing those 4 anchor clips near the glass I would have more than likely bent the cover trying to remove it without knowing those were there. Thank you so much. Thank you to everyone that responded.