General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Exclamation Rear Main Seal Leak

I was recently informed i have a rear main seal leak in my accord. its not a bad leak but i was wondering how long until i have to replace it and how much will it cost at a shop? it has 205,xxx miles on it

Old 08-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

PCV malfunction can sometimes cause oil seals to leak. Check PCV valve and hose and replace as indicated.

Rear main (between trans and engine) requires transmission removal to access so cost is pretty steep, probably $700-$1000, but this is just a guess.

You can buy a lot of engine oil for that repair. If leak is tolerable (your decision), then I would live w/ it.

good luck

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I have the same issue (as I'm sure many others do as well). I've done the following:

* replaced the PCV valve with an expensive Honda brand unit, just to make sure I had the correct pressure relief specs and wasn't aggravating the problem.

* replaced the two breather hoses going to the valve cover and PCV, to make sure there were no cracks or leaks

* switched to Castrol GTX high mileage 5w-30, which has extra lubricants to help rejuvenate the old, hard rubber in the seals.

* changed oil every 3k miles (3 times now) to get the inside of the engine as clean as possible and always filled with fresh oil

* 1-2 weeks prior to each oil change, dumped in a bottle of Barr's Rear Main Seal leak stopper. I've heard concerns about this stuff turning rubber seals to mush, but figured a short-term boost in rubber rejuvenation chemicals prior to an oil change might help with the process.

So, I am attempting to nurse the rear main seal back to health. So far it seems to be working. The bottom of the tranny is still wet with oil but no visible dripping anymore. If I'm lucky this will hold up indefinitely.

Fyi, I also replaced these other sources of oil leaks in the engine:

* distributor O-ring and internal shaft seal
* VTEC solenoid seals (if you have a VTEC)

There is also an oil temperature sensor on the backside of the engine that could leak, and is a low-cost replacement.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The oring seal beneath the rear balance shaft cover is a notorious leaker. Oil will drain from the lower timing belt cover at the bottom end.

good luck

Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yes -- that's the OTHER side of the engine with chronic leaking problems ... argh!!

Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Default update?

hey man i have a bad oil leak as well. it seems to be coming from the rear main seal also. Oil seeps out from next to the oil pan where the transmission is. Wondering if you took it to a shop or?? if so how much did it cost to get it replaced.?? Thanks hope to hear back soon.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Romero1996
hey man i have a bad oil leak as well. it seems to be coming from the rear main seal also. Oil seeps out from next to the oil pan where the transmission is. Wondering if you took it to a shop or?? if so how much did it cost to get it replaced.?? Thanks hope to hear back soon.
Replacing the rear main seal is not an inexpensive job; it requires removing either the engine or the transmission from the car.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Romero1996
hey man i have a bad oil leak as well. Wondering if you took it to a shop or?? if so how much did it cost to get it replaced.?? Thanks hope to hear back soon.
You would have to call around to any local shops to know how much they'll charge you to replace the seal. I only say that because shop rates vary from state to state, and city to city. PA noted above, that 6 years ago it was a 700 to 1000 dollar job.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member

First check for blow-by ...

... with the engine running, remove the oil fill cap and place your hand just over. the opening to feel for air pressure. If the air is puffing at your hand with any amount of strength, then you may just have worn rings, allowing blow-by, which causes increased air pressure within the crankcase, and that is what is causing the oil to seep out wherever it can. The PCV valve sucks out a bit of air from the crankcase but not enough to reduce that amount of air pressure.

My engine had 240k on it at the time, I know the first two owners didn't change oil as regularly as their should have, so understandable that the rings were worn after that many miles. So at. that point I don't now if there was anything that could be done to stop oil from finding it's way out short of leaving an opening like the pre-74 engines had with their crankcase breather caps to prevent the crankcase pressure.

-- John