General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 LX with rear main seal leak - worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Default 88 LX with rear main seal leak - worth fixing?

I recently acquired an 88 LX auto, with about 160k miles on her. Interior is in good condition, she runs good, but leaks oil from the rear main seal. Transmission shifts fine, AC/Heat works fine, power windows and original stereo work fine.

Im wondering if the work to replace the rear main seal is worth doing, considering the sellable value after that repair will only be around $1000?

I may just part the car out, if I can get more for certain parts like the transmission and engine, and interior pieces. What do you guys think?

Also, is a clear title worth anything, apart and seperate from the car? How does one sell just the title after the car itself has been parted out, or is selling the title alone illegal or something?

Im beginning a little side business/hobby either repairing and selling cars for a little play money, or just parting them out for the same. Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The repair is involved and could cost more than it is worth. Unless you choose to take this on yourself, which I would not recommend. How bad is the leak ??
I am thinking that parting it out might be the smartest way to move it. After all, the car is 24 years old...
About the title...It is assigned to that car by its serial number (VIN). It is worthless by itself, and serves to show clear ownership of that car only.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb This Was Posted In The Wrong Forum

Hello New Member..
Welcome to the HAF...

This was posted in the wrong forum so please look where your posting so that it's in the right place before you click that button..

I moved it to this forum for you..

Later...WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Kind of depends on what you have in it already. Add a little time (if you are doing the work) and the cost of the seal and be able to sell it...done.

Parting it out, well now you have work taking pieces off and shipping..oh and you have to find the buyers. You'd have to pull the trans/engine then ship, if I was a 3rd gen owner and needed a trans or engine (biggest ticket items) I would look local.

Sorry, IMO. Replace the rear main and sell it whole....or I might take it for a discount and do it myself