General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear Window break light

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Default Rear Window break light

There are about 3 bugs dead and trapped back there, the light works, but i wanna get the whole thing cleaned up, its pretty dusty there too. How do i get to it so i can clean it the entire compartment?

Old 11-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

I think from inside the trunck there are like two screws you can remove.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Having a bee, wasp and 4 dead flies in my 93 third brake light, I did some serious searching on how to get it apart. The brake light cover has two threaded studs that come down into the trunk through the window deck and are attached with nuts. But after you take the nuts off, there are still several plastic clips that hold it down. If you try and pry it off you will most likely break the clips (that are almost impossible to find replacements) and put serious gouges in the deck at the pry points. So it is suggested you remove the entire deck. You have to remove the speakers, trim pieces that go up the sides of the window, and there was some vague reference to connections along where the top of the back seat contact with the deck. Since my verticle trim is already cracked, I didn't want to go all the way with that scenario and risk breaking them entirely apart. So I'm going to try placing a vacuum nozzle at one side of the light at the window and blow compressed air in at the other side to see if that will get them out. The window there is also extremely dirty. So I'm going to try taking a micro-fiber cloth and use a sawing motion to draw it down across both sides of the light cover and see if that can get some of the dirt off the window.