General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear break issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Exclamation Rear break issue

Hi all,

I am having a weird problem with the right rear break of my car as it has been overheating with no apparent reason, first of all some facts:
  1. I drive a 2003, 4 Cil Accord
  2. The issue comes and goes(3 times in the last 3 weeks)
  3. I have been two times to the reapir shop, in the first one they just inspected the state of the breaks and everything looked fine. The second one they did acknowledged that the right wheel was "tighter" that the left one(when the breaks were not applied) and did some lubrication on the break system and everything seemed fine(Last Tuesday)
  4. Today the issue appeared again, below you can find some photos, it doesn't take a long ride to make this happen in fact today it was only a 5 minutes trip, but also it doesn´t happen all the time as there were no issues on the trip back.
  5. I noticed that there seems to be some humidity on the break, could this be an issue with a leak of the break fluid?

In this picture you can see a change in color due to the heating(which is not present on the other side at all)

And here you can see the humidity I am talking about:

If you have any clue or suggestion about this please let me know, I taking it again to the repair shop next week and I want to give them all the information I can about it or even better a solution.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM

What do you mean lubricate the brake system? There's really nothing to lubricate in the brake system except the guide pins. If a wheel is too tight because of the braking system that can only mean you have a stuck pistion in the caliper. The easiest fix is just to replace the caliper. If you are leaking brake fluid, you wouid be adding brake fluid to the reservior to keep it at proper levels. It's not that common for the caliper itself to crack and leak. Leaking brake fluid might be coming from the connection from the host to the caliper, a leaking bleed screw or the hose itself.

It sounds like you might possibly have a wheel bearing issue instead.

Last edited by Wazari; 01-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Dragging brakes can be caused by the pads being tight in the caliper bracket. Sorta where you have circled in the lower photo. That's another place to lubricate, along with the slide pins.

Rear brakes can also drag from the handbrake mechanism. When you release the handbrake, does the return-spring pull the cable out properly? Or does the cable stick & leave the handbrake slightly tight?