General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Won't Unlock Doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Default Remote Won't Unlock Doors

I have an AutoMate alarm/remote installed on my car.

About a week ago, the doors stopped unlocking when I press the remote button. However,the alarm stillbecomes inactive,as it should.

On the other end, the doors lock and the alarm is set when I leave the car and press the button.

I know this isn't a direct Honda problem, but if anybody has experience with after-market alarms/remotes, your input would be appreciated.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Remote Won't Unlock Doors

it sounds like a bad relay ..... or the alarm brain, but alarms are not my expertise.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It could be two problems.

Do the door still unlock if you press the unlock button for the power door locks thats built into the car? (the one next to the handle)
If not, its most likely a bad relay.
However power door lock relays rarely go bad after 90k.

If the doors still unlock when using the stock unlock switch in the door handle, the problem is either with the alarm brain or the wiring. In order to find out, your going to have to either find the alarm brain and find out what wires coming from it are for the power door locks, or you are going to have to find where the brain taps into the power door locks. The second method is the easiest. Chances are they tapped into the power door locks via a loose connector thats up underneath the steering column. Go under it, and look up. Near the top, about 1/3 of the way to the side of the vehicle there is a connector that was taped to a bundle of wires. this connector, (or plug) has 3 wires leading into it, and plugs into stock keyless entry systems. This is most likely where the alarm installed tapped into the power door locks. look at the connector. There should be 3 holes in the connector. One is + unlock trigger, one is + lock trigger, and one is ground. to lock/unlock the doors, the alarm brain would bridge of the triggers to ground. look at the wires going the connector. There is normally 3, and the connector isnt plugged into anything. look at all the wires going to/from it and count them. There is normally a black one, a black with a white striped one, and an orange one. If there are any more wires, or the wires split off farther down from the connector, this is where the alarm is tapped. Inspect that area for any loose wires or wires that could have fallen off of the connector. If you dont see any wires other than the 3 that go to the connector, your going to have to check the alarm brain wires instead.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:18 PM

Correct, all the "stock" lock and unlock functions work.

I have a feeling it's the wiring - I'll take a look tomorrow and see what's going on.

Thanks for the information - much appreciated.