General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the torque converter cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Anse
Unregistered
Default Removing the torque converter cover

This may be a dumb question, but I'm a little perplexed by how to remove the torque converter cover on a 1993 Accord. I'm going to change the oil pan gasket and this has to come off in order to get to the back two bolts on the pan. I removed all the bolts on this cover and bent the tab out on the front side of the cover. I can move that side of the cover down just fine and it clears the transmisson housing. However, the back side of the cover is a little more challenging to figure out. I can't seem to get this side clear of the oil pan enough to lift it out. Do I need to remove something else to get clearance there?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to have a flashback..........
I think there is a 10mm bolt above the inner CV joint, and then the cover can be dropped in the front and swiveled off.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

on some years , besides removing the 10 mm bolts on the shield , you might have to pry back the inner cv joint just a bit for the shield to slip through

Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Resurrecting this thread -- for a 94-97 F22B1 engine.

Below is an annotated picture of the cover (from an eBay sale -- unfortunately mine is still on the car).

I removed the three 10mm bolts at A, E, and to the left of F ... after which the cover could slide left-to-right about 1/4" or so, and I could drop the left side down maybe 1/2". But the cover does not seem to want to dislodge.

I'm guessing this cover is removed in order to get to the two transmission-side oil pan bolts, and that we do not have a chicken-and-egg situation here. The question is, how does that cover come off? I tried sliding and jiggling for a few minutes but could not find a position that would allow it to come out without potentially bending the metal -- which I'm guessing you should not have to do. However looking at this photo, it appears as though they did have to bend the metal.

Has anyone done this? If so, can you please describe how? I've annotated the various tabs on the pictures to make your description easier.

Thanks. John

Attached Thumbnails Removing the torque converter cover-tc_covera.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

See if this helps.....it is about the oil pan but that cover has to come off to get to it.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...accords-10981/

Old 12-22-2014, 11:32 AM

I did this yesterday. You have to remove the oil pan.
I bent the old cover up pretty bad removing it and had to source another one from the JY.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
See if this helps.....it is about the oil pan but that cover has to come off to get to it.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...accords-10981/
Thanks -- that's it! Remove the shift cable cover and the tc cover will fall right out.

Originally Posted by djkurious
I did this yesterday. You have to remove the oil pan.
I bent the old cover up pretty bad removing it and had to source another one from the JY.
As referenced above, it sounds like the easy solution is to remove the shift cable cover and that will unblock the tc cover from falling right out. Here is the pic again from that thread, I've annotated the tab from the shift cable cover that is blocking the TC cover from removal.

Attached Thumbnails Removing the torque converter cover-sc-cover-.jpg  

Last edited by jkowtko; 12-22-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:07 PM

You do not have to remove the oil pan. It is a matter of of sliding D towards A in your picture. Then rotate the cover counter clockwise while gently pulling towards the rear and slightly down. If there is an excess amount of corrosion and debris then you may have to remove the oil pan, but otherwise I have never had to remove the pan to get a transmission out of one of your generation Accords.

I guess the question becomes why are you taking it off? Are you pulling the transmission? If so loosen the transmission and the cover should come right out, but remember to put it back in place before bolting the transmission back in place.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
I guess the question becomes why are you taking it off?
Oil seepage all around the pan. I was suspecting the worst -- rear main seal-- but after prying around in there and not finding any liquid oil, I'm now thinking it's just the oil pan gasket. So,

a) I would like to remove the TC cover so I can confirm for sure whether or not the rear main seal is leaking, and

b) I need to get to those oil pan bolts on the end to tighten them properly (they are a bit loose) and hopefully stop the seepage so I can hold off on replacing the oil pan gasket for a while longer

Thanks. John