General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Coolant Hose, now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Default Replaced Coolant Hose, now won't start

Howdy all,

So i have this 95 honda accord lx that blew a coolant hose off the back end. I replaced the hose and had a mechanic vaccum check it and it tested fine so i refilled with coolant. The mechanic also washed all the coolant off the engine with a hose he says. It started up seemingly okay but would bog when i tried to rev it up from idle. This went on for a while, but now i doesn't want to start at all. It is getting spark at the plugs and I'm hesitating to think its fuel systems since it should be related to my problem from before yes? But it does act like its not getting fuel.

Do you guys have ideas on what i should check first?

Thanks

Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Check for engine codes. Go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, and open the link describing how to check for codes. Let us know what codes you got, if any.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Okay so i Jumpered that blue connector under the glove box. cherck engine light flashes once off quickly right when turning the key on, so code 1?

the SRS light goes on for 10 seconds then flashes off then on again and stays on. is that code 10 or 20?

Thanks, also oopsed, its a 96 not a 95.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Also managed to get it started after about 3 10-second cranking sessions.

Same thing, idles fine but bogs when trying to rev, seems to get worse as it gets warmer. Though still runs strong once revved up a little till you bring it back to idle.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest checking inside of distributor cap for excess moisture.

Also replacing the lower hose, it may be possible to disturb the distributor ground connection which connects near the lower hose engine side. Check wire and connection.

Did car overheat badly?

good luck

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM

When the hose blew, they shut it off, then they filled the coolant and ran it til it the guage went red, then shut it off. then tried to start it unsuccesfully for quite a while.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Strike700
When the hose blew, they shut it off, then they filled the coolant and ran it til it the guage went red, then shut it off. then tried to start it unsuccesfully for quite a while.
When you checked for spark, did you check at one plug or all plugs? If only one, I would remove them all and check for water in the cylinder. Also, look in each cylinder with each piston at TDC and see if it's shiny or dull. Aluminum heads and overheating don't go very well together. I just went through this with my Accord, although I didn't get the chance to overheat it. I just was lucky enough to buy it right before the head gasket went out. I suspect the previous owner overheated it.