General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replaced Evaporator, oring and oil question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Replaced Evaporator, oring and oil question

I finished installing a new evaporator today plus a receiver drier in my 94 Honda Accord EX. I added 1.3 ounces of oil to the evaporator, and .3 ounces of oil to the receiver drier then sealed the system up. We're going to vacuum and charge tomorrow.

I'm curious however, I haven't run my AC since last year. Since it's been unused for a year, and pretty much empty (all the R134a leaked out), should I be adding more oil than I did before I charge the system up? Or is what I added sufficient? Again, nothing else was swapped out, just the evaporator and receiver drier.

I also have a question about orings. How do I know when I have the right size oring installed? Does the tube with the oring push in with a "pop" so to speak when pushed into its fitting? I ask because I bought this huge assortment of green orings specially for Hondas, and although I compared the new oring to the old before I installed it, I'm still not sure it was the right fit. Some were thick, some were thin, etc. Is there some rule of thumb for getting the right size when installing new orings? Also, do the orings expand when the system is charged/pressurized?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

To know how much oil is in the system you would have to take off the AC compressor off drain it of oil then measure that amount against what the system is suppose to hold. I have never seen anyone add oil to the system after changing a component other than the compressor but I think you should. When I changed the compressor on my 2003 there was just a tiny amount of oil in it. On the O rings you can either chose them against the old ones or buy the exact O ring from the dealership. The ones I changed don’t fit tight like you would expect. I don’t know if they expand in use. From your post sounds like you did a great well thought-out job.