General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced head gasket, still overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Coolant boiling in the reservoir actually points to a bad headgasket. Except for the fact you just replaced it...
Originally Posted by viclavigne
Sorry, I overlooked a reference to the cooland boiling with the AC on. This negates one of my previous assumptions, that the car ran OK with AC on.

I'd look at other things at this point. Clogged radiator, bad waterpump, mechanical blockage of air flow, leaks.
thats what distresses me so much...

Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

[QUOTE=STXHonda;179441

The radiator fan comes on as soon as the engine reaches normal operating temp, then it cycles on and off periodically. The condenser fan ( passenger side i believe but not sure) comes on as soon as you switch on the A/C or when the radiator overtemps.

Under normal conditions and with the A/C off only the radiator fan should be coming on.

Hope that helps.

New here, by the way.[/QUOTE]

First off Welcome to our little corner of the NET..
let me correct you..hope you do not get offended ,, but i want the correct info to be spread around our forum ....

..Main cooling fan is on the passenger side,,,,,,a/c condensor fan on driver side..........When engine reaches normal temp. t-stat opened BOTH FANS should come on, and both fans cycle according to coolant temp........if only 1 fan or neither fan come on, you got an issue

With the a/c engaged BOTH fans should come on and cycle on and off ..again if only 1 or neither fan come on there is a problem ...

Now on this overheating issue........

First off make sure that cooling system is bled properly, make sure that t-stat opens fully,, lower rad hose as hot as top hose, BOTH fans come on when coolant reaches the pre-set temp. ( about 1/2 to 5/8 on the gauge ).......
if all these work properly and engine overheats ,, since rad and cap are new and assuming in proper working condition,,,,,,,,DO A LEAKAGE TEST ,, it would tell you if you got a blown head gasket.......

Now.......if lower hose is not hot,,,,,,,,,,,,t-stat is stuck closed

if t-stat opens and fans do not come on,,jump the switch at t-stat housing ( make sure to have a good connection ), if both fans come on you got a bad switch

if fans do not come on,, it need to be diagnosed,,,,,,,fuses? relay? wiring ? motor?

i have only seen 1 water pump so badly corroded fins that it caused an issue ,, although possible i would be very surprised that the pump fins are all corroded to cause this simptom

there is a good trouble shooting guide on the DIY section .......( ...member take a look great info site ) ..
click on the link.. go to trouble shooting and go to overheating........

Last edited by deserthonda; 07-30-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM

my mechanic is retorquing the head at this very moment.
will update asap.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 PM

update;
i finally got my car back, with the second head gasket job done free of charge.
its running cool and so far no engine problems.

is there anything special i should do maintenance wise?
i am hoping this car will now last a long time!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Rinse & replace the coolant every 2 years. Honda likes to pretend it lasts forever, but I don't believe it.