General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Replacement Key

One of our keys broke for our 04 Accord LX. Can replacements be ordered and if so any idea on cost? This key obviously is the kind that incorporates the remote into the base of the key...

Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

key from the dealer is about 75 bucks and an hour labor to program to the antitheft/immobilizer and door locks/trunk...usually about 175 smackers total.

you can buy a key on ebay cheaper, but still needs cutting and by the time you get done chasing your tail it will cost about the same...ask me how i know also remember to bring all the keys with you to the dealer so they can program them all, otherwise you'll have a key(s) that won't start the car.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM

call your local walmart, they have a new key cutting machine that supposed to program the key too. basically copying the code to new key. just make sure they are able to do your make and model/year. iirc price was between 40-70 bucks depending on car. or check your local yelp.com (or google appropriate strings) for lock smiths and someone may have posted one that's reasonable for cars in your area. if you want to do your own, you can buy cheap key from ebay have it cut at local hardware/key place (don't tell them its a transponder key, they might refuse) buy key programmer from ebay cheaper one come from china but take longer to ship. I got gambit II last year maybe cheaper now, worked for 2001 T5 transponder key and 4-5 other types (your year may be different ymmv) total cost @$70. down side is that it only copies the key and not able to reprogram computer(need more expensive unit for that) I went this way cause daughter lost a couple keys already(not real good for me cause lost/stolen key can still start car). Then I saw walmart got their new key machine, my ebay key was thicker than stock key and couldn't be cut by walmart's high tech no-brainer cutter. so had to go to regular key cutter.
on 2001 the remotes could be programmed by having a good transponder key and following the procedures in the manual, you gotta do all remotes at one time.
Or may be cheapest solution, just get an all metal key cut and attach it to back (if broken means cracked off) end of transponder key, if there is good contact chip in back part of key might still work. some chips only need to be close enough to work.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Nope, unlikely wally-world will have the HDS factory scantool, cuz that's what you be needing to program the transponder in these cars. the door lock/unlock can be programmed by anyone that can read though

Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brokanic
call your local walmart, they have a new key cutting machine that supposed to program the key too. basically copying the code to new key. just make sure they are able to do your make and model/year. iirc price was between 40-70 bucks depending on car. or check your local yelp.com (or google appropriate strings) for lock smiths and someone may have posted one that's reasonable for cars in your area. if you want to do your own, you can buy cheap key from ebay have it cut at local hardware/key place (don't tell them its a transponder key, they might refuse) buy key programmer from ebay cheaper one come from china but take longer to ship. I got gambit II last year maybe cheaper now, worked for 2001 T5 transponder key and 4-5 other types (your year may be different ymmv) total cost @$70. down side is that it only copies the key and not able to reprogram computer(need more expensive unit for that) I went this way cause daughter lost a couple keys already(not real good for me cause lost/stolen key can still start car). Then I saw walmart got their new key machine, my ebay key was thicker than stock key and couldn't be cut by walmart's high tech no-brainer cutter. so had to go to regular key cutter.
on 2001 the remotes could be programmed by having a good transponder key and following the procedures in the manual, you gotta do all remotes at one time.
Or may be cheapest solution, just get an all metal key cut and attach it to back (if broken means cracked off) end of transponder key, if there is good contact chip in back part of key might still work. some chips only need to be close enough to work.
Later generation Accord keys and immobilizer systems are different.