General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

replacement oil plug (03 Accord V6 EX)

Old 11-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Default replacement oil plug (03 Accord V6 EX)

So i'm resuming the needed service on my 2003 Accord EX V6 and it's time to do the first oil change...

...and as near as I can tell the last @#($ must've put it on with an air wrench.

Is there anything specific (ie magnetic plug) and is this supposed to use crush washers the way the transmission drain plug did? Whats the replacement for this little piece? It's coming off with a vise grip, a 6 point socket has already stripped it.

...and if the previous place damaged the oil pan with how tight it was, will that show up right away or do I have to watch like a hawk for future drips now or/and be worried about replacing the oil pan if it drips later? :-/

Old 11-01-2018, 07:15 PM

I wouldn't say there is a specific plug for unless you want to buy a Honda plug or reuse the plug that comes out of it. Yes there is a crush washer for it that is easily had on Amazon with a quick search. I personally use the EZ oil drain valve so I wouldn't have keep unloosing the bolt for an oil drain also available on Amazon. If it's not leaking now there is no reason it will be leaking after the replacement unless they used lock tight and that's a different story.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

The crush washer is something like $0.50 at the dealer. Genuine drain plug is about $10.

I'm sure you can find a drain plug at any of the chain car-parts stores, if you want to save a couple bucks. Sometimes those have a plastic or fiber washer; you can toss that & use the aluminum crush washer.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Replace it with a Fumoto valve and never have to use a wrench again.