General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing Brake Lines

Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Red face Replacing Brake Lines

2000 ACCORD EX 2DR V6 - I am a female, inexperienced owner of this vehicle and it needs all new brake lines. Can someone please tell me how to do this with a step by step guide for this assuming it needs all of them done? I won't be doing the repair, but I'd like to understand why the dealership charges $1400 and my shop is charging $450. I know the dealership is always more - but really a big jump? How hard is this to do for someone with moderate experience with is? I realize it must be a lot of labor here...What is my best, cheapest, but safe route?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Probably best to let a mechanic do it.

Off the top of my head, these would be the general steps for replacing the brake lines. The car has brake lines and hoses.

1. Raise and support car.
  2. Remove wheels for better access.
  3. Remove any bolts and brackets holding brake lines to frame/body.
  4. Disconnect brake fittings from brake related components (both ends of line); temporarily cap or plug brake components to prevent significant leaking of brake fluid.
  5. Remove individual brake lines install new ones.
  6. Flush, fill with new brake fluid, and bleed braking system of air.
  7. Install wheels.
  8. Lower car.
Here is a link showing Honda list price and internet discount pricing. Many local dealer mark-up on list price. You would probably not be replacing every single component.
Part Detail

Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 PM

A local shop may not be using Honda OEM parts (probably not) they may be bending and running there own lines which are very inexpensive in bulk. That is probably the reason for the price difference labor rates are probably slightly higher at the dealership as well.

I had my rear lines done at a local shop it was $250 that was using copper/nickel lines they wont ever rust again. In my opinion better then if I had taken it to the honda dealership who would have put on OEM lines that would be covered in rust right now.

The costs seem fairly reasonable for both although the dealership seems a couple hundred bucks high in my opinion.

I surprised you need the front lines replaced they usually hold up in most cars better then the rear.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've replaced one brake line on a truck w/ generous room to work, and it was difficult. Bending the line to fit is tricky. How they manage one piece construction w/ multiple bends in different planes is hard to understand. I spliced 2 places to reduce the bending to something more manageable.

good luck