General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Door Panels on 95 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Replacing Door Panels on 95 Accord

Hey everyone, so I have a quick question... My 95 Accord has manual door locks and windows as of now and I plan on upgrading them to automatic ones. I was thinking about going to the nearest pick-n-pull and grabbing the motors for both additions... Now the problem is, I need switches to work the system, and instead of purchasing aftermarket ones, I was planning on just replacing my door panels with one from a car with automatic everything.

My questions is, would this be a possible task. I understand that it will not be easy by any extent; automating anything is usually a task. But, will replacing my manual panels match the door frame for the automatic car? I can't really think of a reason why they wouldn't but I thought it'd be best to ask. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

There is more to this "conversion" than what you have posted.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

if it's a coupe, just swap out the entire door...if the car is black, get white doors, if the car is white get black doors...Accord cop car! J/K, but if you can find doors the same color cheap enough, it may be worth it??? But poorman is right, it's not just swapping panels and slapping in motors.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I was thinking about swapping the whole door but I have a four door so I don't expect it to run cheap. But then again, maybe I'll weigh my choices.... Hours-maybe days of labor and the price of parts OR drop some extra cash for a much less painful process.

When you say there is more to this conversion, what are you referring too? Do you mean the wiring and adjustment of the system or is there something that I'm completely overlooking? The reason I am leaning toward replacing the panels vs. the entire door is because the inside of almost all my panels vibrate from my sound system so I need to pull them all off to fix the rattling anyways.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM

I have been looking for some time for a rear door for my 96 around me in the northeast they run around $250-$350 at a junk yard. They can be had much much cheaper if you can find someone on craigslist parting out their car, but I have been trying to do that for about a year and have not found one the same color.

The hardest part would be wiring it into the car properly I suspect, as you probably dont have power at the door currently.

I wish my car had manual windows, want to trade? ( just kidding my wife would never go for it )

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Why do you want manual windows? They are such a drag... Over here in California there are a ridiculous amount of these cars and I'm pretty sure my pick-n-pull sells them for less than a hundred.

I actually did some looking around and it looks like the besides the driver side door panel, all the others are the same, save the hole for the manual windows. I might get lucky and only have to replace the main door and the necessary wiring... Wishful thinking.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

You've not only got the panels but a ton more.

Regulators and motors, wires, control units, fuses, relays, pass door controls, run a few wires, ect.

Not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it is more involved than what you have posted/suggested. Then if you are going to control this with the factor "switches" you'll need a good shop manual to know which pin(s) to connect the wires to.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just went to my local junkyard to take a look at the doors. If nothing else, I now know how in-demand the accord is in the bay area. Not one car had a respectable door I could salvage. I did however have the chance to take a look at the inner workings for the power windows and the door locks. As you said, it does look like a heavy task to do, but it is pretty straight forward with no real tricky mounting or wiring done.

My next step is to try to find an accord with manual doors so that I can compare the mounting locations and the wiring options. I'd rather fumble with the kunkyard cars before committing anything onto my own car.

For anyone else that might read this, the power door locks at the junkyard seem simple enough to take apart and install in your own car. As for the power windows, you may want to purchase a kit from eBay since their cost, in my opinion, is worth the trouble of pulling them out from all four doors... And let's not forget about the wiring you would have to pull too.