General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Inner Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Default Replacing Inner Tie Rods

Hi guys,

I need to replace the inner tie rods on my '94 Accord LX MT. I did some reading and have a few questions:

1) How difficult is it to un-bend the lock washers? I have a ~10" chisel I could use and a hammer.

2) Will the Inner Tie Rod tool from Autozone work? ie. Is it long enough and does it have a 17mm attachment?

3) What is the best way to bend the new lock washer in place?

4) Any particular complications I should be aware of or take note of before I attempt the repair?

Thanks!!

Old 01-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you tested and determined inner BJ is loose? Unusual for them to go bad.

My comments are based on replacing inner BJ on Acura MDX but Accord is similar.

1) Washer can be bent w/ pliers or vise grips.

2) It worked for me. It's a very deep socket.

3) Hammer

4) Access to install the boot clamps. I decided to use plastic wire ties, much easier but not as durable. Note to self to check how they are holding up!

good luck

Old 01-26-2016, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the reply.

When I turn the steering wheel to almost an extreme, I can here a clicking/grinding noise coming primarily from the driver's side. Also, there is vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds.

I've already replaced the lower ball joints, upper control arms, and outer tie rods on both sides. The driver-side axle has also been replaced last year and the passenger-side axle boot isn't torn or worn-looking. Furthermore, the inner tie rod boots are severely torn on both sides.

Just to be sure, is it safe to assume that my diagnosis is accurate?

Last edited by cukaracha; 01-26-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

With the wheel elevated and removed, push/pull the wheel/knuckle to force the steering. If inner BJ is loose you will be able to see movement of tierod w/o corresponding steering column or steering wheel movement.

Another way would be to have a helper turn steering wheel while observing tierod. There will be steering wheel movement w/o corresponding tierod movement.

In my MDX case, I felt a "popping vibration" on tierod when turning steering wheel slightly. I thought inner BJ was binding/reieasing to cause the vibration. When I opened up I found inner BJ was good, but replaced it anyway. Vibration was finally determined to be from CV axle. Axle boot was fine but it had internal wear causing the popping.

good luck