General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing radiator support

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:23 PM
bengalari
Unregistered
Exclamation replacing radiator support

I have a 1991 honda accord 4dr sedan, it was in one accident before it became in my possession and the driver side of the support was slightly warped.

Around valentines day my girlfriend and i were out driving, on a one lane road (traffic still flows both ways) i pulled off the road to avoid a pickup and hit a stump, the passenger side of the support is now completely destroyed, it is warped beyond repair.

What would be the simplest way to remove and replace the support without replacing the front end? I do not have access to a garage, only my driveway, although i do have tools to deal with welding if necessary.

also it seems the spedometer frying is a very common thing, and I couldn't find any direct solutions, my spedometer is also dead, is there an easy solution to this as well?

Thank you in advance for your help,
I hope to hear back soon,
~Jim

Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Smile Core support/speedo

I can't help you with the core support, but the speedo is a common problem. There is a small electronic board that is plugged into the back part of the speedo. When it goes, so does your speedo/odometer. The easiest way to fix it is to get another speedo head with its board already attached. 91-93 are the same body style but other year Accords MAY work. It's an easy plug n play.

You will need to remove the console to get at some of the dash cluster bezel screws, remove the plastic dash bezel, and the four screws that hold the instrument cluster are right there. Unscrew the cluster, pull it out slightly and remove the four electrical plugs in the back. Take the cluster out and remove the white plastic cover off the back. You will see four screws that hold the speedo head on.

It sounds like alot of work but once you have done this several times (as any typical Honda owner has), you will become a pro in very short order.As far as the core support, you are going to have to unbolt the entire front end assembly ie bumper, headlights, yadda yadda and unbolt/cut off the old support. It's alot of work but it can be done. I just finished stripping a 94 Accord and a local guy wants the support off of it. I have the car down to the bare bones and I don't even feel like messing with the support! Good Luck!!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Not to long ago I hit a dear in my 94 honda accord. Same issue didnt have many options so I went to the junk yard to get a new radiator support. Now you need to look at the radiator support as well as the headlight supports. Thats where I messed up. If you have any kinks folds or anything you are going to need the whole front end support. Then cool thing is that all this is held together by tack welds.

I took a cordless drill and and flathead screw driver. Your going to need to find all the tack welds and drill them out. Now if you want and you said you had welding skills you can just retack them or you can bolt them on, that is what I did. It isnt ath hard it just hard trying to find and car at the junk yard that hasnt been hit head on.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 AM
bengalari
Unregistered
Talking

Thank you both for the suggestions, I actually managed to straighten the support enough to fit the radiator, but needed to leave out the A/C condenser... They wouldn't both fit.... I can live without A/C tho...

Now I'm just looking for an intact bumper cover, but that's not that important at the moment...

Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM

You and me both. I do need the A/C though preg girlfriend wont let me do without, lol. Im glad I could have been some help.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
glenfoxman
Unregistered
Default replacing radiator support

I have broken several of these on limbs. I have never damaged the base plate. Remove the cover and make sure it is actually damaged. Otherwise, it is just a matter of removing four screws, removing & replacing the cover and installing the four screws.

Last edited by PAhonda; 12-04-2010 at 01:17 PM.