General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Reverse lights always on

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Allmetalweaver
Unregistered
Default Reverse lights always on

Greetings. I have a 95 accord ex with 2.2vtec with a manual trans. My problem is that my reverse lights stay on all the time. I tried replacing the switch that is in the transmission and that didn't do anything. And of course, right after I replaced that switch, my ac refused to work. So, I'm thinking I shorted something somewhere. As I understand it, the wire going to the reverse switch in the trans is a power wire and the switch is supposed to be like be open whenever the car isn't in reverse with the key in the on position. It then closes when I shift into reverse. So, what would make the switch stay closed all the time?

As for the a/c problem, I think I'll let a shop figure that one out. And just as a footnote, you guys were the only ones who correctly diagnosed my cooling fan always on problem, searched all over the net but you guys were the only ones who had actually encountered the problem before and correctly fixed it, so big thanks.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Reverse lights always on

I doubt your AC problem and backup light problem are related.

First, disconnect the BU light switch completely. This will eliminate a stuck switch as the probem.

It's tedious but start from the BU light and trace back through the harness looking for source of voltage entering the BU light wire. I would guess two wires are pinched together somewhere, or somebody spliced the wrong wires together. Start w/ areas where harness is easily reached as these are more likely to be damaged by some accident.

I looked at my 94 manual and there is a splice for a trailer lighting connection. Perhaps someone miswired a trailer light installation or wires are damaged in this section. It's a grn/blk wire in the 94 manual. Not clear why BU lights would be routed to the trailer harness in any case, but that's what's in the manual.

good luck