General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ROARING NOISE IN 91 ACCORD

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 PM
bimmerman
Unregistered
Default ROARING NOISE IN 91 ACCORD

I bought a 91 accord 5spd with 243000 miles on it abouth a month ago. The run good but It has a noise that I thought was a wheel bearing. My indy mech. checked it out and found the wheel bearings to be ok but said I needed tires. I replaced all four tires and the roaring sound is still there. Another mech. said it my be something withe the tranny. The noise start at about 20mph and will go up as I speed up. I have no problem shifting and no other problem with the car except the roaring sound. Can anyone shed some light as to what the problem might be. THANKS.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:33 AM
Default RE: ROARING NOISE IN 91 ACCORD

Wheel bearing noise can be hard to prove, but with the tires off and spinning the hub by hand and feeling a bad bearing is also sometimes difficult to do. I think it would take some time to build up some heat on a bad bearing. I would drive around and only use the hand brake, give it some time to get hot and then check the front hubs with my hand, if you use the foot brake, the front rotor will heat everything up anyways and kill the test results. This is just one possible test.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ROARING NOISE IN 91 ACCORD

try a couple of things
First when noise happens while driving push the clutch in .. if noise goes away it is internal tranny bering
Anyone replace tranny fluid and perhaps used 80-90 w differ oil ???

to chk bearing ,while driving sway from side to side as if to change lane ( just a bit quicker), if the noise changes you got a bad wheel bearing ,, Or have the mech raise the car up on the lift, you get in, start the car and drive it as if normal changing speeds ( in gear of course) the mech can use a stetascope on the knuckle and listen if it is a bad bearing and or which side is noisy