rough idle & sputtering - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

rough idle & sputtering

Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Default rough idle & sputtering

Hey what's up. I have a 94 Accord LX 5sp. It has 214k miles. It just started to have a rough idle and I can feel it sputter while driving. It does not stall. It just passed smog test with very good numbers. Before the smog I did a tune up and noticed oil on the spark plugs. I know I need to change the valve cover gasket and grommets, could the oil on the plugs be the cause?

Thanks, Mike

Old 06-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Very well could be, you def want to rule that out before chasing anything else....did you replace the cap and rotor when you did the tune up?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM

No, but I plan to when I change the valve cover gasket.

Thanks, Mike

Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM

Well, it's fixed. I changed the valve cover gaskets and grommets and when I pulled the spark plugs, the tip was burnt and melted on one of the plugs. (defective plug)? It was an E3 spark plug that I tried. Put back in some NGK's and no problems.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Cool And thank you for coming back with the answer, too many of these end up with no answer.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Back again. 3 days since I changed to valve cover gaskets and spark plugs and I am getting the sputtering and hesitation while driving. I think the spark plug electrode is going to be melted again. I will pull it after work and follow up. Any Ideas?

Thanks, Mike

Old 06-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Small chance that the oil leak had damaged the insulation on the sparkplug wires. Check for arcing...

- Complete darkness with cold engine (like maybe 3am?)

- Open the hood & turn off all the lights

- Start the engine & look for arcing (or the dull blue glow of a corona discharge)

- Replace whatever is glowing or arcing.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:48 AM

OK. Did a full tune up on Friday, wires, cap, rotor, and NGK plugs. So far no problems. I think it was all the OEM parts, the cap was cracked, and the rotor screw was almost seized due to rust. Cleaned it all up and installed the new parts. I will let you all know if it happens again.

Thanks, Mike

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Distributor cap was cracked?? That'll do it right there.

I would have been tempted to replace the cap & rotor ONLY then see if that fixed it.

Last edited by JimBlake; 06-11-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Back again. 3 days after a complete tune up it started misfiring. i pulled the #4 plug to find the gap closed on it. Took it to the shop they said timing was fine and the put a scope down the cyl to check for a foreign object, nothing. Could the piston be coming up and hitting it? from what i heard is that the piston will not travel up that far on these engines. engine sounds fine no knocking or pinging.This plug i just put in i added 2 extra gaskets to see if it helps. not sure what to do next.

Thanks, Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rough idle & sputtering

Advertising

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.