General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S indicator light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Default S indicator light flashing

I read few of the threads about S light issue but never ran across with my accord problem. Anyway, i have a 1990 honda accord that have the S light flashing. i had the car for almost a year now but 2 weeks ago the S light started flashing and the speedometer would not work properly where it stays at zero. at one point, the check engine indicator and the S light went on at the same time. i read the user manual and found that when checking the transmission fluid, to turn off the engine and rest the dip stick rubber piece on topof the fluid refill hole and not to force it in. there was fluid in there but barely touching the tip of the dip stick. i did a flush on transmission fluid and purchased a honda brand (honda brand is not cheap). someone told me that using Honda brand instead on conventional oilworks better on the tranny. Thought that this would fix the prob. the check engine and S light went away, the speedometer is working properly. until a week afterflushing the transmission fluid, the S light is back flashing and the speedometer is dropping to zero although the vehicle is still moving.

can someone help me out? do i need to reset the S light indicator?
oh, there's one thing i also did which may not make sense. before i drive the car, i turn on and off the ignition twice and i never seen the S light and speedometer problem. until i shut the car off again, then the problem accurs onlyifi don't do the turn on and off ignition twice.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: S indicator light flashing

The S light flashing means that the trans control unit detected a problem. The proper way to diagnose is to short the service connector and count the flashes on the TCU.

Since your problem is shows up with the check engine light, and the speedometer isn't working, then the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is not working. If the cruise control doesn't work when the S light is flashing, then that will also verify that the VSS is bad. There are a lot of posts about bad VSS if you want more info.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

WHAT? Rest the dipstick rubber on the side of the hole??
I'm not sure what manual you are reading; but you put the dipstick in the hole FULLY SEATEDthen remove it and read the fluid level.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

WHAT? Rest the dipstick rubber on the side of the hole??
I'm not sure what manual you are reading; but you put the dipstick in the hole FULLY SEATEDthen remove it and read the fluid level.
i've been doing that, FULLY SEAT the dip stick,and seems that this is the wrong way to check the tranny fluid.

not to rest the dip stick on the side of the hole. I wrote "rest the dip stick rubber piece on topof the fluid refill hole and not to force it in." got this from original 1990 accord user guide manual. its on the very back side of the manual stating gas station quick check.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

The S light flashing means that the trans control unit detected a problem. The proper way to diagnose is to short the service connector and count the flashes on the TCU.

Since your problem is shows up with the check engine light, and the speedometer isn't working, then the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is not working. If the cruise control doesn't work when the S light is flashing, then that will also verify that the VSS is bad. There are a lot of posts about bad VSS if you want more info.
thanks for the tip PAhonda.....i'll do more investigation.