General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on . . . the Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Default School me on . . . the Flywheel

My latest car issue is a clutch replacement. Here is the clutch kit I will be buying : http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/08-014.shtml

Now, other than honesty, what is to stop my mechanic from saying, you need a new flywheel or that it needs resurfacing, considering I'll be bringing him the clutch kit to install. It's an expensive fix as it is. I've read somewhere in the lost depths of this site that a lightweight flywheel will improve drivability, etc.

Here are my questions: How does a flywheel improve the ride? Is it worth resurfacin or investing in a new one considering the age of my car? What are the pro's and cons of the different variety of flywheels? Any suggestions or links to a site to purchase flywheels? How much are they to resurface?

thanks as always

Old 03-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: School me on . . . the Flywheel

The problem with resurfacing the Honda flywheel is that the entire surface has to have the same amount removed or the pressure plate will not have good clamping force. In order to machine the surface that the pressure plate mounts to, the alignment dowels have to be removed.
A warped or uneven flywheel surface causes clutch "chatter' at the point of engagement.
If you don't have this problem,I would just scuff the surface where the disc meets with 60 grit on a die grinder to remove any glazing.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 PM

i would def. get it resurfaced. i doubt the shop would complete the job without doing so. at the shop i work at we send out our flywheels to be resurfaced by a machine shop. we dont install new clutch kits without doing this because of the chattering effect it creates.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:21 PM

thanks for feed back so far. Is that to say, that regardless of the condition of the flywheel; when installing a new clutch kit, you must get it resurfaced. Why then wouldn't a clutch kit come with a new flywheel. If I am not experiencing the "chatter', should I assume not to worry about the flywheel either way.

If you don't have this problem, I would just scuff the surface where the disc meets with 60 grit on a die grinder to remove any glazing.
I'm assuming this is standard procedure

Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Resurfacing is kinda like brake rotors. The surface gets glazed unevenly & itchatters orshakes. If it's simply glazed evenly, hit it with some emery paper. If it's very uneven, then it becomes more important to actually get it resurfaced by grinding.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the reason clutch kits DO NOT come with a flywheel,, # 1 it would be too expensive and most important flywheel does not need to be replaced just machined ,,
I WILL NOT do a clutch job for a customer car or my own , without having the flywheel resurfaced ,, and i would not adviced you to install a new clutch without having the flywheel resurfaced ,, If clutch chatters than you got to remove the tranny out all over again .
if we ( at my shop ) install a non-factory clutch kit, the shop that i get it from has a lot of already resurfaced flywheels in stock , i just get one and return the old flywheel to them , cost is 30 dollars
If we use Honda parts, there is a guy that comes to our shop when needed and resurface flywheels ;;he charges 35 dollars ..
long story short ,, my advice, take it or leave it ., Resurface that flywheel when replacing the clutch

Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Got it! Thanks!