General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scrapping Sound Most Audible at Low Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Default Scrapping Sound Most Audible at Low Speeds

Hello,

I recently loaned my '94 Accord LX MT to a friend who drove it 400 miles. Upon getting it back, it noticed that a scrapping-type sound coming from the front right area. I've read that this may be a brakes-related issue, so I was hoping to get more specifics? I know for a fact that this friend of mine has a habit of riding the brakes to a stop rather than using engine braking.

Before loaning him my car, there was already a squeaking sound when slowing down (5-10mph). After getting the car back, there was an additional scrapping-type sound around 10-15mph that's very clearly audible. This same sound is audible at higher speeds, but much less so (although may be due to my broken muffler).

In addition, the car seems to be much less smooth and zippy when accelerating from start and the engine is also louder than usual. This might be a separate issue, but I'm just throwing it out there.

About a month ago when my car was at the shop, they said my rear rotors needed to be changed soon. No mention of any problems with the front side, except that the front left CV axle needs replacing as well (but that's a different sound that clearly comes from the driver side).

Any idea what the specifics of this problem might be?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by cukaracha; 07-29-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have jack stands? Put the front in the air and have a helper start the car, put it in gear, and tap the brakes while you listen near each wheel.

I had a loud but intermittent scraping noise coming from the right front a few months ago and it turns out one of the pad shims came loose and was cocked about 45° in relation to the pad which caused it to scrap on the rotor hub.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Defiantly sounds like a brake issue. Loose pad. As far as the rear rotors needing replaced. That could be a issue for the scrapping sound. Usually when you hear a squeeking sound when you brake. It means they need changed. Most pads have a metal piece when the pad gets so far down it making that sound to warn you they need changed. I'll warn you I have have the same car and they are know for bad rear calipers. They seize up and stick either in or out. They are a rotating screw motion caliber pin compared to the front which directly push straight out. They could be stuck against the rotor causing your scrapping sound and the loss of power cause the brakes are stuck on. This gen accord are known for that. I would recommend a complete brake job. Front and Rear brake pads, rotors, and calipers, also the rubber hose has had another hose inside itself which sometimes collapse on it self causing stuck brakes. I would also do both front and rear rubber hoses.

It might be slightly expensive for everything but ....
It's not going to waste all of these things is maintance issue and will need to be replaced eventually so your not wasting any money if it doesn't fix your issue. But I'm very sure you have have a issue in your brake system

Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 AM

Could be a brake pad issue, maybe the inner pad is down to the metal plate where the pad is mounted, it's not an expensive fix but uneven wear may also mean that you may have to replace the caliper and the rotors. I've replace the pads on my nephew's 03 Tiburon- his was making a loud grinding sound on the driver side but he will need new calipers soon, just didn't have the time to replace them.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't have any jack stands, but I believe a friend of mine may. I'll check in with him and if we can the brakes inspected ourselves, I'll report back my findings. Either way, I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again!!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I overlooked:
Originally Posted by cukaracha
About a month ago when my car was at the shop, they said my rear rotors needed to be changed soon.
Your sig shows LX which would have drums, not rotors.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Any thoughts on whether I should attempt a complete brake job DIY? I've watched tutorials on how to replace pads and calipers, and those seem easy enough. Anything in particular I should be wary about though?

Cheers!!

Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

On your car, the front rotor is difficult to change. The hub/bearing/rotor is removed as an assembly, only then can the rotor be removed.

Before starting to work on the car, inspect the brakes, suspension, etc to locate the noises that you are hearing. Here is a good video on how to do this.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 AM

So a fun thing happened today - I loaned my car to the original owner and upon getting it back, the scrapping sound was gone! Along with it, I'm getting better acceleration from stop as well as a quieter ride in general.

Any idea what might have happened? More importantly, should I still try to fix this problem or wait until it happens again?

Cheers!!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cukaracha
So a fun thing happened today - I loaned my car to the original owner and upon getting it back, the scrapping sound was gone! Along with it, I'm getting better acceleration from stop as well as a quieter ride in general.

Any idea what might have happened? More importantly, should I still try to fix this problem or wait until it happens again?

Cheers!!
Brake pads have a wear tab that scrapes on the rotor when they get very low. If left that way for too long, the tab can brake off and the noise is gone (but so are the brakes). Get the brakes looked at to be safe.

Alternatively, I have seen pebbles get stuck between the brake rotor and backing plate. They can make a decent racket when the car is moving.