General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sent my tranny back to honda dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Default Sent my tranny back to honda dealer

Hey guys, dont knwo if you remeber me but i had a tranny issue that came up on my 2000 accord. Amnyway i sent it back to them on monday and they are going to replace it free of charge due to warrenty on parts on serbvvice. I had arebuilt tranny put in, in april. And in july it broke. dont know if these rebuilt tranny are really bad or i just had bad luck. What i wanted to ask is if i buy a tranny cooler do you think it will really help, on the longevity of the tranny. or are these tranny just doomed from the start?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Sent my tranny back to honda dealer

ORIGINAL: HondaRacer4Vtec

dont know if these rebuilt tranny are really bad or i just had bad luck.
They've been doing really good on their reman transmissions lately. We have very few of em come back anymore.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

from trolly here, it has seemed like most issues were taken care of with the first replacement...maybe some of those who have experienced it can chime in.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Will a trany cooler help?
My thoughts:
I read that transmission fluids operate at about 200 plus degrees. At that temperature the trany might last 150,000 plus miles. If the trany is operated at say 300 degrees (high speeds, pulling trailers, etc.) the life may be 75,000 miles. A cooler would seem to help. New cars have them.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Wow big update guys, honda dealer just called me today, they said there not going to replace whole tranny instead, there going to replace solenoids. I hope this solves the problem. Is this really going to slove the problem with my tranny or are they just putting band-aid on the problem? Sry iam a newb to automatic tranny and how they work.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:05 PM

If that's all that was wrong it should fix it, take it up some steep hills and step on the gas hard, see if it slips or acts normally, watch for abnormally hard downshifts etc.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

If that's all that was wrong it should fix it, take it up some steep hills and step on the gas hard, see if it slips or acts normally, watch for abnormally hard downshifts etc.
ok thx Sir Nasty, Ill keep it posted i should get the car back by end of today.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Al
Unregistered

Hello everyone,

I am having the same trans problem. My car is currently at the Honda dealer. I purchased a 2003 Accord coupe v6 auto about 2 months ago. The car has 80k miles on it. After buying the car I did a vin search and found out the car was purchased new at a local dealer and was serviced regularly at the same dealer. I got the dealership to print out all of the service records for me. The last service the car had was a trany replacement at 77K miles. I was shocked. I guess I should have done my research a little better. I am new to the Honda world. I never knew about the problems Honda was having with the transmissions until I joined this forum.
Luckily the trans is still under warranty and I purchased a extended warranty with the car.
It should not cost me anything for the repairs.

BTW: I am new to the forums and to the world of Honda cars.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Al

Hello everyone,

I am having the same trans problem. My car is currently at the Honda dealer. I purchased a 2003 Accord coupe v6 auto about 2 months ago. The car has 80k miles on it. After buying the car I did a vin search and found out the car was purchased new at a local dealer and was serviced regularly at the same dealer. I got the dealership to print out all of the service records for me. The last service the car had was a trany replacement at 77K miles. I was shocked. I guess I should have done my research a little better. I am new to the Honda world. I never knew about the problems Honda was having with the transmissions until I joined this forum.
Luckily the trans is still under warranty and I purchased a extended warranty with the car.
It should not cost me anything for the repairs.

BTW: I am new to the forums and to the world of Honda cars.
Welcome to the fourms al, Yeah these tranny are just bad news, Dont know why the rebuilt ones breeak so fast, i belaive another member here also had the same problem i think it was, yeuemmaimai but i dont really remeber.