General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SEVERAL QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Default SEVERAL QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS

Okay, I'll start with my driver window. I'm having the hardest time finding the correctregulator (at part stores)and ended up having to order it through Honda but hopefully will be getting that fixed soon. 2nd,I've hadthis problem a couple of times here and there but moreyesterday. When I start my car it just dies. I'll give it some gas and it still dies on me when I left off the pedal. The first time it done it my husband said I probably got some bad gas or had a piece of carbon or trash and he drove it home and got on it and it was fine after that. It done it again the other day but died only once and then was fine. Yesterday while running around to different part stores, I started it and it would die, turn it off and try again. I had to do this several times because I could give it enough gas and let off and it would die. The last place we tried, I had an even harder time keeping her running. It would sputter and almost "shake" as Igave it a little gas. I would watch the RPMs and notice that it would dropto almost 0 and then pick back up to almost 1000 and repeat.I went back into the store and got some Lucas gas treatment because the last time she done this, I realized I filled up the gas tank at the same place (I'll never go back there again) and thought maybe I got some bad gas. Well after a few times of trying to keep her running, the check engine light came on. Does this mean I may have a bad sensor and how much damage can "bad gas" do? I also noticed that my gas mileage went from about 28/29 mpg to around 22/23. I understand that winter and my baby is getting a little older and few more miles but that's a big difference in my opinion.

My last question is I notice some noise coming from the front end when I apply my brakes. It only does it at slow speeds as I almost come to a complete stop. But it sounds like a grinding and popping noise. I havesome vibration/shaking in the steering wheel. I've had my brakes and rotors checked and they said my front brakes and rotors are fine but I needed to replace my back brakes. Would the back brakes have anything to do with hearing the noise in the front? I started noticing the noise when I got new tires a couple of months ago. My husband bought good tires and had a 4 way alignment done. I've taken it back to them thinking maybe I had a "bad" tire. As my chrome is coming off my wheels, they replaced the stick on weights with the "nail in" weights because I had a hard time keeping it in balance as the weights kept falling off. I noticed the recall on suspension:front:control arm:lower arm - would an alignment bring on problems in that area? I don't understand what all is going on as dealerships tell me that the brakes are fine and yet I still hear the different noises and vibration/shaking.

Oh and what's the deal with the clear coat all of a sudden starting to come off? That really sucks!

Any advise is greatly appreciated! My Honda is pushing 147,000 miles now and I just want her to last 400,000+.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: SEVERAL QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS

Bad gas may cause stalling problems, but it shouldn't cause a check engine light. Usually an ignition component (lack of spark) will cause a car to stall (coil, ignitor, or ignition switch). Since you check engine light is on, have autozone read the code (ie, Pxxxx) and post the code on here. That will tell us what the ECU is detecting as a problem.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:21 PM

I went to a Honda dealership Saturday but they can't diagnose problems on Saturday so I told them I would come back when I had a day off during the week. Well I ran some errands and noticed that the check engine light had went off. I don't know what is up with that but I don't guess it's a bad thing right?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

The light might come back. I would stop by Autozone and have them read the code. The code will still be stored on your ECU even if the engine light is off.